2000 GT Cooling Fans not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GT Cooling Fans not working

detredwing4
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
2000 Grand Am Gt: Cooling Fans are not working. I checked all fuses and relay and they are ok. I turned on AC at max and they still do not come on. Anyone have any suggestions?

GCarr99GT
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Blower motor? Are you sure you checked the right fuses? There are multiple fuse locations (sides of dash and engine bay).

detredwing4
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Not sure what you mean by blower motor, it's the cooling fans. Yes, all fuses have been checked according to the schematic, in passenger compartment and under hood. Verified the relay by using it in the blower fuse.

GCarr99GT
09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Do you mean your radiator cooling fans don't come on or no air gets blown out of the vents when the AC is on?

detredwing4
09-03-2009, 02:28 PM
It's the radiator cooling fans. The cooling fans should come on when AC is turned on, but they do not.

76TA01GAGT
03-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Did you get any resolution to this? We have the same problem with my sons 2000 GAGT. The "cooling" fans do not come on for any reason...... it finally overheated the other day (it has been cold here till now).

CrimsonGT
04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Sounds almost like the temp sensor is not telling the fan's to kick on almost as though the temp sensor went bad. Try replacing that and see if it work's or it could also be the fan's went bad take and wire them direct to the battery and see if they come on if they do then it would almost have to be a sensor went bad.

remiljr
04-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Sounds almost like the temp sensor is not telling the fan's to kick on almost as though the temp sensor went bad. Try replacing that and see if it work's or it could also be the fan's went bad take and wire them direct to the battery and see if they come on if they do then it would almost have to be a sensor went bad.

Good advise but if you dont want to cut up the fan wiring harness, just use a multimeter and ohm across the motor leads with the engine off! if it reads open (OL) they are cooked. also ohm across one lead and ground and if there is any resistance they are done (grounded)
Most likely Sensor.
You could also amp out the positive wire on the fan with a/c and car runnning and if theres amperage and there not running there most likely locked up (bearings). Try to spin the fan and make sure its not hard to turn or stuck.
You could also check for 12v across the motor leads to see if they are getting voltage.
My fieldpiece hs35 is my best tool.....can you tell?

CrimsonGT
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
lol nahhh you can't tell at all j/p but yeah i supposed i should have worded that better thanks for correcting me. I should have just said find the plug where it connects and run 2 leads from the battery and test them that way or as you said test the resistance that or spin them and see if the bearings aren't shot.