2000 GT Rebuild [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GT Rebuild

Hiier
09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Alright guys, here's the thing; I've got a 2000 GT Coupe with 200,500 miles on it. I'm only 16 but I've been calling around looking for a newer sedan from some used auto places and I'm willing to take out a loan for around 6,000. I want to know if it's a better idea to make payments on a 2004+ sedan, and less than 100k on it or to take out a smaller loan and rebuild my engine and transmission.
I have no idea what the condition of the motor is internally, but it runs great for 200,000. I can feel the transmission hesitate in 3rd gear, it revs then backs off a few times before shifting into 4th but only when accelerating moderately fast. Both seem to be in very good condition for 200,000 and never rebuilt. If I did rebuild it, I'd want to buy another used transmission to swap in and I'm not so sure on the severity of the rebuild to the motor, also probably head out to a U-pick-it and get some front end suspension parts along with a few cosmetic parts. I only paid 1,700 for it at 186k, so would dropping a few hundred to a little over a thousand be worth it?

MMGT1
09-14-2009, 05:59 PM
You need to give us a couple picks of the 2000 so we can start a discussion on it bud. With some picks we can kinda see if its worth rebuilding. A couple grand goes a long freakin' way into a 2000!
Like, first off, Id clean that MAF and see if the car still does that with your acceleration issue.

Hiier
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Alright I'll get right on those pictures tomorrow. It's got hail damage but it's the worst on the hood which is replaceable, the rest is subtle. It'd need a new drivers side door and headlight, but it's in great shape besides that. What kind of pictures should I take besides exterior? Interior? and obviously enginebay.

Thanks

Bryan
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
If the car were in good condition otherwise, I'd say it would almost be worth it to do the engine/trans work. Since it isn't, IMO you'd be better off picking up another GAGT (or whatever you want) with under 100k..which can be had for pretty cheap.

AaronGTR
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
If the car is still in good shape and the engine runs good, I'd keep it and leave it alone. Just do whatever maintenance is required to keep the engine running good. Sounds more like transmission issues that you're having to me, and that's understandable for a 4T45E with that many miles. It's probably just worn out. There's nothing wrong with rebuilding the trans you have. It will cost about the same as getting a new one though. The cheapest and fastest option would be to just look for a used one out of a lower miles junkyard car and swap that in.

Hiier
09-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Well I mean the only reason I want to even consider rebuilding the engine is to be able to say, the body has 200k but the engine has been rebuilt and all parts needing replacement had been replaced.

I know that one hub needs to be replaced, I have the replacement I just need to get around to it. New driver's side headlight, and besides that it's in great condition. The hail damage is hard to notice but it is there, so I do think it is worth putting a bit of money into. I just can't decide

Hiier
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
I've been reading a bit and I think I might be interested in pulling a 3400 out of another car from the junkyard, hopefully with a transmission too. And I might be interested in doing the 3400/3500 hybrid, I think that's what it has been called. Is that really a worthy investment and how much work and money might I dump into that?

76TA01GAGT
09-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Just finished a 3400 complete re-build, bore, hone, line bore, deck and square, rods R&R, hot tank, new re-built heads and of course all new engine internals, got right at $1,900.00 in parts and machine shop labor, did all the tear down and re-assembly myself. If you go the engine re-build, you might look inot a re-manufactuered with a warranty, they seemed to be right about $1,900.00 also. hope this helps on the budget aspect for the engine.

ryanbgb22
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
These cars are going for pocket change now. Don't waste your time with something with 200k. ****, for 2500 you can get something with half the miles and decent condition.

Hiier
09-17-2009, 08:59 PM
I got the car for pretty much free though ya know? Still deciding :D