Advice on fender removal wanted [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on fender removal wanted

lone_wolf025
09-17-2009, 03:19 AM
Here's the deal. Right now my driver's side door ribbing panel catches on the inside lower edge of the fender. The ribbing panel is all chewed up on the inside and has a few screw holes in it. The fender section appears split and severely distorted. So, I'm tired of others messing up that repair so I want to do it myself.

Plan is to get a "new" used panel in decent shape. Now does this piece have to be black or can I get say a white piece and have it painted?

As for the paneling/body kit: there is some paneling attached that is part of the stock GT body trim. Obviously its coming off the fender at least. Is the rest of the trim (on the bottom) simply held on my bolts/screws? Is there enough play that I can get away with simply taking out a few screws or bolts?

For the fender: I figure pop off the wheel well and I'll see where its attached. How hard is it to pop the fender off? Any special tools?
Due to the appearance of the damage it is my opinion the fender needs major repairs to be normal again. So my thought is to buy one from someone on the site, check the junk yard, or buy a new replacement. What is the best option? I realize that cheapest end result would be used from site (no deep scratches and black). Junkyard would probably have to be painted, I assume replacements from the factory would too?

After I have the new parts I know I'll need 3M double sided tape. Anyone have experience putting on a ribbing panel for a door?

Lastly, how much is this likely going to cost me (minus any paintwork)? Is $500-700 about right assuming all used parts?

PhantomLover007
09-17-2009, 06:21 AM
IIRC, It's just a few bolts to remove the fender Jon. I don't have my Haynes book w/ me right now though. I'd check w/ a local j/y first to see if they possibly have one in your color.

AaronGTR
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
To remove the fender you have to do several things. First you have to unbolt the hood hinge from that side. Then you need to take the screws out that hold the side skirt in around the edge of the wheel well, and un-stick the double sided tape at the top of the side skirt. I think that should let you pull the fender out without pulling the entire rocker panel off. Then you need to take out the plastic fender liners. After that you can get your hand in there and take out the bolts up by the headlight that hold the front bumper to the fender. There is also a bolt up there for the brace that goes to the frame that needs to come out. There is a bolt for a brace at the back edge of the fender by the door also. Then take out the two bolt at the bottom of the fender (under the car) that bolt it to the rocker. Last are the four bolts along the top edge inside the engine bay, and it should then come out.

lone_wolf025
09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Alrighty. Thanks.

Lab Rat
09-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I can add, buy the good 3M stuff. Get all the old chit off there and use the same amount of tape (don't skimp). Mine has been holding for years now. Really good stuff that 3M.