Thinking about claying my car today...PLEASE READ [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about claying my car today...PLEASE READ

GrandAmMe
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Ok so i am thinking about claying my car today, I looked up the clay kits that are available from canadian tire. Here they are:

-Mothers california gold clay kit
-Meguiars Quik Clay kit
-Turtle wax ICE kit

Now the question is what clay kit is the best of the 3?

I understand that after you clay the entire car you must wax and then polish or just wax?

I already have some Turtle wax but wondering about what polish to use afterward. Do any of these kits include polish?

Thanks and please give me more info that i should know!!!

lastryghts
09-19-2009, 12:29 PM
I would go with the mothers clay kit because the new ones come with two clay bars, so you're not SOL if you drop one. The kits only come with the clay and the liquid you use with the clay. If you're going to use turtle wax I would use polish made by them.

lone_wolf025
09-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Mothers and Meguiars are good for claying either one is good. Never used turtle before, but the others are well known quality brands. After you clay it you gotta wax it. Polishing is a much more in-depth procedure and while it can be done by hand its much much more difficult. With polishing you need a dual action polisher aka a porter cable along with pads. Don't worry about polishing right now unless you wanna fork over the money for a unit.

With the claybar kit you should get a bottle of detail spray with it. That's your clay lube. You spray it on, flatten out the piece of clay in your hands, and rub it back and forth with light pressure until you can feel it not dragging anymore.

Oh and check out autopia.org for lots of detailed (no pun intended) information and "tutorials" on how to properly clay your car among other things. They explain it better than I can.

GrandAmMe
09-19-2009, 12:40 PM
yeah i know i was just wondering if i had to WAX AND POLISH?

lvemy3100
09-19-2009, 12:44 PM
fyi I use Clay Magic clay bar and Meguiars quick detailer spray for clay lube once I run out of the supplied clay lube..

also no matter what brand you use or how many bars they give you be sure to cut the bar in half and use it till its dead or you drop it.. if you have 2 bars this will give you 4 chances to get it right ;) you only need half a bar for one Nbody sized car if you properly clean the car before you start the claying

you dont have to polish and wax ... unless you have the proper tools to polish just apply your favorite wax and be done with it

Prairie_GT
09-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Do you have to use Quik Detailer for lube or is there other things you can use like water?

Jake
09-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Do you have to use Quik Detailer for lube or is there other things you can use like water?

I imagine water would just evaporate extremely fast, use the quik detailer.

I personally have tried megs and mothers clay bars and I liked mothers the best by far.

PhantomLover007
09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I've used the Megs kit and it was outstanding. When you put the Quik Detailer bottle on your hood and it slides right off, you know your sh1t is clean.

Jake
09-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I've used the Megs kit and it was outstanding. When you put the Quik Detailer bottle on your hood and it slides right off, you know your sh1t is clean.

:nono: Matt lol

AaronGTR
09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Pretty much any clay will do a good job. It's more about technique. Make sure to use enough quick detailer spray for lubrication and make sure to fold the clay bar often enough so you don't get an scratches or swirl marks. Go back and forth in a linear motion (no circles). Go over the car with a good carnuba wax afterward then buff it out. You can polish it too if you want it really shiny, but you need an orbital buffer with a foam pad or terry cloth pad and some good light polishing compound, and it takes some practice to get good technique. Always want to wash the car first, then clay bar, then polish after that so you aren't grinding the tiny contaminants into the paint with your polish and making swirl marks. Wax at the end like normal.

cardude007617
09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
ice ANYTHING is crap period. i like the clay magic kit too. its the least expensive and works great.

i read you can use a weak solution of water and dish soap as an el cheapo clay lube

AaronGTR
09-19-2009, 06:23 PM
If you do that you need to rinse and dry the car again before waxing though to get the soap off. Sometimes I do that anyway though if the car is really dirty and the clay bar is leaving residue behind.

lone_wolf025
09-20-2009, 01:16 AM
fyi I use Clay Magic clay bar and Meguiars quick detailer spray for clay lube once I run out of the supplied clay lube..

also no matter what brand you use or how many bars they give you be sure to cut the bar in half and use it till its dead or you drop it.. if you have 2 bars this will give you 4 chances to get it right ;) you only need half a bar for one Nbody sized car if you properly clean the car before you start the claying

you dont have to polish and wax ... unless you have the proper tools to polish just apply your favorite wax and be done with it

Gah...I just broke out a new clay bar too...probably not too late to cut it in half though. Oh well. I still gotta get off my lazy butt and actually DRIVE out to see you for the polish stage...been getting distracted with stuff ><

GrandAmMe
09-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Ok so since yesterday was only 13 degreed celsius here i decided not to do it and figured today would be a better day. Now the only place i can think about who sells claybars is canadian tire but they seem to be overpriced so anyone know where else i can get one in canada for a resonable price?

GrandAmMe
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Quick update: went with the mothers kit! all done and there is a few pics on the Members car gallery section..CHECK EM' OUT!