Help, coolant leak? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help, coolant leak?

icecats87
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
So on my 2001 grand am gt lately when i am stopped i feel the whole engine shaking and when i accelerate about 5 seconds the cylinders finally kick in, then when i turn the car off i hear a spraying type of noise by the coolant container. also the is a leak orange stuff down by the spark plugs and above will post a pic tonight, but and guess on whats wrong and how much would it cost to fix.

KmGADfw
09-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Does it overheat or overheated recently?

Does the coolant level OK? Need to be added? How often?

Is the Check engine light on? If it is, have the code scanned and report back.

Anything else feel abnormal, rough? i.e.: hard/slow start....

icecats87
09-21-2009, 03:16 PM
They said the head gasket broke and caused the other gaskets to break and it will cost 600 to just diagnosed that's whats wrong with it, then at least 2 grand to fix it.

KmGADfw
09-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Exactly where I was heading - these are typical for a warped head / head gasket.

But, it should not cost that much. The head gasket replacement (including the replacement of other gaskets on the way up to it) should cost about $800-900, gaskets included. If the head(s) are warped, it will be another $100 per head if it can be re-milled. If they need to be replaced, that would be about $350 per head (if buying used).

So, don't let them over charge you for that job - use a reputable shop instead of dealership for the job. Dealer will charge you 50% more.