What would be the most likely culprit... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What would be the most likely culprit...

notsoaveragej0e
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I changed a belt on my gf's car this past weekend that was squeaking badly, and upon inspection once I took it off, was torn up and rotted out. The car has 100k on it, so it definitely needed it. After I replaced it, everything ran fine, but I noticed the car had a slightly rough idle (had never driven it before, so I suspect it was there before).
Today, she said it sputtered a little and a check engine light came on. My first instinct is that the cat is going... I'll get the code checked at autozone or something this weekend, but are there any common causes for something like this with a new belt installed? Or is it just a coincidence?

...and for what it's worth, she has a 2002 Mazda Protege. I could only reach one of the belts (the other didnt need changing anyways, looked newer) which ran the AC and steering pump.

lone_wolf025
09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
A newer belt will grip better than an old one and as a result put a slightly greater load on the engine than before. That could be a partial reason, but I suspect it was a pre-existing problem.

notsoaveragej0e
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
A newer belt will grip better than an old one and as a result put a slightly greater load on the engine than before. That could be a partial reason, but I suspect it was a pre-existing problem.

Yeah, she mentioned that a little while back the engine exploded after it overheated, so I'm hoping this won't cause a relapse.

MMGT1
09-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Stethoscope if you can put your hands on one and check the bearings on your pulleys. I wonder if something may have seized?