Famous Intake Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Famous Intake Leak

nolimit
09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
afternoon gentlemen, "TO ALL WHO'S DONE THIS THEMSELVES" After doing my daily cleaning and fluid checking on my 03 gt, i've notice what i think appears to be a little seapage of oil on the intake,As you open the hood its to the right side of the head thats closer to you,i've wiped it off,so im going to check periodically to see.Now with that being said,i recall reading somewhere that there is the new and improved gasket that's suppose to fix this issue.... well,what would be the best brand name and recomeneded place to get it,money is no issue when it comes to this

im no certified mechanic but i have done my fair share of backyard work on vehicles, so im not skeered to do it, i've read up on it, and no to watch for the pushrod sizes and so forth,any other things to check or particular to look for?? i dont have a book on this car yet,so, i will need the torque spec for the upper an lower intake bolts anyone have them handy or no a place i can get them .....THANKS !!

depending on how bad it leaks,i'll be doing this project with in the next month i believe

THEEMUTT
09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Fel-Pro

The torque specification is a 2-step process; tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (the four middle ones) to 7 Nm (62 lb in). Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (two on each end) to 7 Nm (62 lb in). Tighten the vertical lower intake manifold bolts (the four middle ones) to 13 Nm (115 lb in). Tighten the diagonal lower intake manifold bolts (two on each end) to 25 Nm (18 lb ft).

Upper Intake Manifold
Tighten Bolt/stud 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs)

Rocker arm bolts = 14 Nm (124 inch lbs. + 30).

lone_wolf025
09-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Gentlemen? Here? You sure you're on the right forum?

nolimit
11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
evening all, i'm back.....well cleaned her up.With the the notorious intake problems with these 3.4's i check the fluids weekly.While doing my daily cleaning and fluid checking i seen that my coolant level was a lil low.Before i jump the gun i wasnt 100% sure that it was topped off to the T when i purchased the car, but after seeing the coolant below the "cold level"mark i took a closer look, i seen that,if your standing on the passenger side of the car the back side intake towards the firewall had a tiny sepage on the head itself.Now "IF" it is leaking externally how long you think i have before it starts mixing with the oil?.......Im going to go buy a gallon of Dex-cool top it off and watch it closely

Malaclypse
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Why delay the inevitable? You're going to have to R+R the lower intake and replace the gaskets anyways. If you can afford the parts and have the time, do it now.

There's no telling how long it'll take for the coolant to start mixing with the oil. For all we know it may already be the case.

stonemason90
11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
afternoon gentlemen, "TO ALL WHO'S DONE THIS THEMSELVES" After doing my daily cleaning and fluid checking on my 03 gt, i've notice what i think appears to be a little seapage of oil on the intake,As you open the hood its to the right side of the head thats closer to you,i've wiped it off,so im going to check periodically to see.Now with that being said,i recall reading somewhere that there is the new and improved gasket that's suppose to fix this issue.... well,what would be the best brand name and recomeneded place to get it,money is no issue when it comes to this

im no certified mechanic but i have done my fair share of backyard work on vehicles, so im not skeered to do it, i've read up on it, and no to watch for the pushrod sizes and so forth,any other things to check or particular to look for?? i dont have a book on this car yet,so, i will need the torque spec for the upper an lower intake bolts anyone have them handy or no a place i can get them .....THANKS !!

depending on how bad it leaks,i'll be doing this project with in the next month i believe

the sooner you do it the better cuz when i did it on my car it had been months and the entire block was filled with an oil/water mix it took hours to drain everything out with how thick it was. chances are if its leaking on the outside its leaking on the inside rub your finger on the inside of the valve cover and see if its only oil or if it has water in it also rhe sooner you do it the less work you gotta do cleaning the block. ive done 4 manifold gaskets on different 3400s. so if you have a question let me know and ill see if i can help you out