have my engine apart [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : have my engine apart

aiixon
09-26-2009, 10:25 PM
So.. I'm doing a head gasket change, and I have everything off right now except for the heads because I still have to take off the rear exhaust manifold, and I'm waiting for the head gasket kit to come in the mail from Ben.

Couple questions -

What internal parts should I/are safe to wash in a solvent tank or something?
How can I tell if my injectors need cleaning or are bad?
Some of them look clean and some look dirty. I can take pics if needed tomorrow, but if I can do some preventative maintenance while doing a small mod, why not, right??

aiixon
09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
bump.

i need input on the injectors, im putting it back together tuesday.

KhellendrosxS
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
The only way to truly get the injectors checked for problems would be to send them out to a place like Witchhunter or RCengineering.

O1GAGT
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
How many miles are on the car?

As Chris said, you would have to send the injectors out to be cleaned, which is a really good idea if you plan on keeping the car for a while. Since you will have it torn down, I would take the heads to a machine shop and have them cleaned and resurfaced and then install new valve seals.

BTW: When you put it back together, make sure you follow the proper sequence and tor specs for the head & Lim bolts. Also be careful to put the push rods back in the right order or you will have a problem.

Malaclypse
09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
If the tips look dirty, about the quickest thing you can do is use some brake cleaner and a lint free cloth to clean the dirt off the tips and around the pintles. That's the only time effective thing and no harm will come of it.

The proper way of cleaning injectors would be to have them flushed at the rail. You could send them off for checking and balancing, but that's a waste in my opinion.

aiixon
09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Okay, well I'm taking the heads to be checked out at a machine shop owned by my ex soccer coach, and I'll ask him what he recommends to do to them, regarding new seals, etc.

And the injectors, alright thanks, I'll just use some brake cleaner and wipe them off.

Btw: car has 110k

aiixon
10-01-2009, 11:13 PM
So I have a question.. how the hell do I drain the radiator. I drained all the coolant from the block, but I can't see the radiator drain thing. In the how-to it's a green cap that is turned off, which I don't have. If you're looking at the front of the car, on the front of the radiator on the lower right hand corner I have a white thing that looks like a 1/4" drive could fit in there.. it might be smaller. Is that the drain?

Metclub
10-02-2009, 02:54 AM
yes that's the drain plug

skifreak122
10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Make sure to not put too much pressure on that plug when turning it out. There is a little metal piece sticking out the side of the plug which acts as a guide for it. Essentially you turn and pull out at the same time. IIRC to completely remove the plug it is only 1/4 turn.

When I drained mine I assumed that plug was threaded in there so I started backing it out like normal. I ended up getting that metal guide bent between the plug and rad. housing and had to use vice grips to remove it! ;crap

I would recommend going to the parts store and getting a different plug also. It's got a 'wing' on the end of it so you can remove it with your fingers. It's well worth it. This is the one I got so you can see what I'm talking about:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/NDA0/611333.oap?year=2001&make=Pontiac&model=Grand%2BAM&vi=1374746&partType=01387&parentPartType=C0331

Also, I wouldn't completely remove the plug until the fluid has stopped draining. It will all drain out the bottom if you leave the plug in the spot where the o-ring catches but if you remove the plug all the way it will go out the bottom and come shooting out the front as well. Hard to explain..you'll figure out what I mean lol.

aiixon
10-03-2009, 12:59 AM
so how do i turn it?? just use pliers? or is it indeed a 1/4 inch hole and i use a ratchet for it?

skifreak122
10-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Yeah it is a 1/4 inch hole. Pliars would probably work ok also but I'd try 1/4" drive first. If I remember correctly, that little metal tab is pointing towards the drivers side of the car when closed. So when you turn and pull outward 1/4 turn, the metal tab will be pointing up.

The plug does not fit so tight that you need to use force to remove it. If you use too much you might end up in the same crappy spot I was.

Let me know how it goes!