Stuck O2 Sensor... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stuck O2 Sensor...

pauljs75
10-08-2009, 08:06 AM
It's one of the parts where you can actually reach it. (The code was for the top O2 sensor.) So I figured it was an ok DIY jobber. Even got the right socket, and with a short extension there's just barely enough room near the firewall to put some torque on it, but it's manageable.

The problem is that :bleep: is stuck. It seems most places say to heat it up, but I don't have a blow-torch and driving it to get it hot didn't help too much either. Any other tricks particular to the LA1 V6 for breaking those things loose? All I've suceeded in doing was rocking the car back and forth.

Since I have a short amount of time (emissions check coming up), I think I may have to resign and go to the shop. Hopefully it'll just be labor, because I did get the correct replacement. Just sucks that it's this close to being done, and the thing won't budge.

Lab Rat
10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Try the product PB Blaster. This is really good liquid wrench. Let it sit, maybe even overnight, and it MAY come loose. I did get it off my 2.4 and it should be similar.

lvemy3100
10-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Try the product PB Blaster. This is really good liquid wrench. Let it sit, maybe even overnight, and it MAY come loose. I did get it off my 2.4 and it should be similar.

x2

be sure to spray it 2 or more times if you are letting it sit for any amount of time... more is definitely better in this case ;)

AaronGTR
10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Yeah, you usually need to spray some kind of penetrating oil on it, and sometimes let it soak over night, to get them loose if it's the original sensor and never been removed. If that doesn't work then usually a propane torch. You have to heat up the manifold to get the metal to expand and loosen up around the sensor. If you don't have a torch, the other option that may work is... run the car until the manifold is hot, then try and break the sensor loose. Just gotta work fast, and wear some gloves 'cause it's gonna be toasty under there! :D

SSRacer
10-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I hit mine with some penetrating spray and let it sit for a few hours. When I went back it came out with relatively little effort.

STFDFireman
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
can anyone post a pic as to where this is?? I cannot find mine to save my life!!!

MMGT1
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Its right up top in your rear exhaust manifold bud, you can't miss it. I dont have a factory manifold anymore so a pic of mine is useless.

Also guys, once you have let the penetrating fluid soak in, give it a little twist to the right** yea, tighten it more... You should be able to crack the rust that way resulting in little to no damage to the face that will have torque applied to take it out. If it feels like its binding coming out, work it in and out to clear the rust so you will do as little damage as possible to the threads in your manfold. Use anti-sieze on your new sensor and only apply it to the top third of the threads, closest to the wire.

Last thing you want to do is strip it and have to have a shop charge you out the "you know what" to get it. Hope it helps!

SC/T02
06-17-2011, 05:17 PM
PB Blaster is awesome. Look for a white bottle that looks to have a lot of different writting with a lot of different scripts on it. Stuff is the sh!t. Sometimes they have a yellow cap. You can get it at Big Lots, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, most stores have ot. Never looked for it at an auto store. I have even seen a small spray bottle at the Dollar Tree before. You will want to spray the crap out of it then let it sit for hours.

Malaclypse
06-17-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll reccomend PB blaster as well. That or a bigger ratchet. I usualy use a 16" 3/8" ratchet with a 6" extension and the correct socket. Make sure that the socket is 6 point, though or it may round off the sensor.

It helps sometimes if the ratchet has a locking flex handle. I swear by those damn things.