2002 Grand Am Starting problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Grand Am Starting problems

Defoe1
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Our 2002 Grand Am 6 cylinder was having a starting problem.
Security light on did the ten minute trick it would re-start. After two years of off on problems found the solution by bypassing the pass lock system. Car started fine for two weeks, then all the sudden it would not fire up, it would crank but no fuel, I thought it was a bad control body module, I replace that and found the battery very week, replaced the battery. Car started wonderfully, did well for three days. Now wont start again just cranks no fuel, swapped out the fuel relay and checked the fuses all seem ok.
Hoping some one has a answer could the fuel pump be defective? Could one be intermittent? Seems strange. Thanks for any help.

aiixon
10-08-2009, 06:30 PM
So it sounds like you have narrowed it down to the fuel system. Try taking the fuel filter off and then start the car and if fuel sprays out it's a clogged filter.

Defoe1
10-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks Allxon thats my next step. I hear its under the car. in front of the tank. nice place for Pontiac to place it. is that true?

aiixon
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Ya, it's really not that hard at all to do. Jack it up so you have room under the gas tank in the mid-rear, then it's right in front of it (in relation to the front of the car). You will need a wrench to hold a nut on one side of it and then a smaller wrench to turn the nut just beside that. The big nut is welded on to the filter so make sure to turn the smaller one off it. And then on the other side that is connected to the gas tank side of the fuel line (IIRC) is some kind of quick release thing that won't take you more than a minute to figure out.

My year had the hard one that everyone complained about not being able to get off and I got it off in 15 seconds. You have the green one which is easier and just snaps off in a quick jiffy.

Malaclypse
10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Use a 20mm wrench on the filter and a 16mm on the fuel line nut. Squeezing the wrenches together is the best way to break it loose.

Defoe1
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Changed the fuel filter. it was plugged solid I could not blow through it. While I had it off I tried turning the key on and no fuel came from the tank. so I either have a bad pump or an electrical problem feeding it.
How and what wires should show hot going to the pump? There seems to be about 6 wires going to the tank. thanks for all the help so far

aiixon
10-09-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't have my book on me, but just get a manual or an online subscription so you can look at wiring diagrams. In most cases, orange is hot, so if you see orange, test that.

AaronGTR
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
No DTC codes stored in the computer (PCM)?

I highly doubt there is a problem with the wiring between the pump and relay. That would be a very rare issue. Usually it's either the relay or fuse, the PCM not commanding the pump on because of the passlock security system, or the fuel pump itself is bad. I'd double check you have a good relay first off. And make sure the security light isn't on, and maybe try the security relearn procedure again just to rule that out.

They had problems with the fuel pumps until they started installing a revised in tank fuel module in mid 2002, but it was typically only a hot start issue. I had mine replaced twice because of that issue. If it's not starting at all though ever, even cold, that may not be the problem. If the filter was clogged pretty bad and the fuel pump was run long enough that way it's possible the pump is just dead.

If everything else checks out and you want to check for power at the pump, it may be tough. The wiring for it goes through a panel under the rear seat cushion to the top of the fuel tank, and I don't know if that panel is removable from inside the car. The only way to get to it may be by dropping the fuel tank, but I'm not sure. Never had to do it myself. According to the manual there should be two plugs. A three wire one for the fuel tank pressure sensor and a four wire one for the fuel gauge sensor and the fuel pump. The fuel pump power wire is the gray one and the ground is the black.

Mattyj724
10-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Fuel pump... thats my guess

Defoe1
10-10-2009, 05:28 PM
This morning the old fuel pump was running when turned on the key but no fuel coming out of it at all. May have been just cutting out intermittently. I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. funny thing the old fuel filter was clogged, but when I pulled the fuel pump the pick up screen was clean the tank was also very clean I half expected to see a dirty tank and pick up screen. The car started strong I do not know what pressure I am running for I don't have a gage to test that, but seems OK.
I put a scanner on the car to check for any codes and found none so I think the electrical systems are also ok.
Changing the fuel pump was rather easy to once we got the car up high enough. Suer beats a 700.00 charge for changing it at one shop.
I want thank all of you for your help and sage advise you were right on target great job.

Malaclypse
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah. Pump issues are actually pretty common on N-cars once they get older. Change the filter every 30k or so.

The reason you saw a clean fuel tank is that most/all of the grit gets through the pickup and fuel pump but doesn't make it past the filter.

AaronGTR
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Cool, good to hear it's running ok now. Shouldn't have to worry about the pressure. If it's a new pump with a new filter, and if the injectors and fuel pressure regulator are still stock, then your fuel pressure should be at the stock setting and just fine.