Brakes aren't seated properly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brakes aren't seated properly

Panacea
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Okay, so I'm getting some warranty work done on the wifes Rendezvous and the dealer called and said that the front brakes aren't seated properly and that they suggest that I replace both the pads and rotors. I was going to replace them a couple months ago, but the front brake pads were practicaly brand new.

What does this mean? Do I need to worry about it right now? Is this something that can cause brake failure? Do I need to replace both rotors and pads, or can I just replace one or the other? Thanks...

lastryghts
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
If your having warranty work done already you should ask why there not covered under warranty? If there not "seating" properly then it must be a mechanical issue and not a wear issue.

Panacea
10-08-2009, 12:57 PM
If your having warranty work done already you should ask why there not covered under warranty? If there not "seating" properly then it must be a mechanical issue and not a wear issue.

It's an '06 and has an extended warranty. This is not covered as it's a normal wear item.

lone_wolf025
10-08-2009, 01:05 PM
If the brakes aren't seated properly that generally means that the pads aren't making full contact and haven't for a while. I've seen this on rear brakes before where you have a ring of rust half-way into where the pad is normally seated. If you were planning on replacing the rotors anyways now would be the time. A lot of times it is caused by a mechanical problem, but usually a simple brake job will fix it. Depending on how new the pads are and how badly they've been worn you might be able to swing keeping them if you were doing the job yourself. The dealer won't let you reuse the old pads regardless.

I'd want to see the brakes for myself before I give them the go-ahead, but that's me.

Panacea
10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I wasn't planning on replacing the brakes or rotors since the pads were practically new. Is there any harm in leaving this alone, or is it something I should definitly address?

Also I want to know whether I should attempt to replace the rotors and pads myself or let a professional do it. The only reason is because they know what to lube, clean etc. If it's a "mechanical" problem, I think they'd be more apt to correct it. Suggestions?

lone_wolf025
10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
If the rotors are new, depending on the "damage" you can probably have them cut and be reused. As for it hurting anything...its possible. If the pad is c0cked funny or wearing badly by not being seated properly there is one obvious downside: Loss of braking performance. You might not notice in everyday driving especially if its not bad right now. But when the time comes, the one freak chance that you absolutely need 100% braking power, you won't have it and bad things can happen as result. Also by the pad wearing in strange ways, again depending on how it wears, there is a chance the pad could break apart and then you'd really be up a sh!t's creek without a paddle. I'll put it to you this way, if I knew my brakes weren't seated right, even if I just did it a couple months ago, I'd bite the bullet and fix it. Brakes are not something to cut corners on.

As for doing it yourself, that's up to you. I myself could figure what's wrong with the brakes, if anything, and choose the right repair if it was my car. I don't know what your mechanical knowledge is like, so you'll have to make that decision yourself. Arguably though if they're talking about just giving you a brake job then you could probably do it yourself and save a little money. Nearly everything is cheaper than the dealer afterall.

Panacea
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Well I talked to the technician and he said that the pad is only making 50% contact to the rotor. So, I will be replacing the front pads & rotors in the next couple weeks. It should be fairly straightforward if I'm just doing a normal brake change. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. My only question is where do I lube? I know you take the caliper sliders off and clean/lube them. Where else are you supposed to lube? The back of the pad? What about the "track" that the pad slides into (the little notches that the pad goes into)? I'm just curious how the pads got seated improperly.

Malaclypse
10-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Sometimes this just happens. I haven't really figured out why but it doesn't happen to many cars. Basically all the hardware and the calipers aren't having any problems.

As for lubing brake components. Just remove and clean the slides and lube those before reinsertion. Putting lube on anything else is unecessary.

Panacea
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Sometimes this just happens. I haven't really figured out why but it doesn't happen to many cars. Basically all the hardware and the calipers aren't having any problems.

As for lubing brake components. Just remove and clean the slides and lube those before reinsertion. Putting lube on anything else is unecessary.

Even on the back of the pads? I thought you were supposed to do that so that they don't squeal, or something to that effect. But, if you say just the sliders, then I'll trust your expertise.