HID Help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HID Help

vikings84
10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
So I just got an 8000k plug and play kit off ebay, installed it and nothing. The HID kit turns on but they are just like my stock bulbs and I cant get the true colour. Anyone know how you could fix this problem?

JRYAN34
10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
problem = ebay

Jake
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
So I just got an 8000k plug and play kit off ebay, installed it and nothing. The HID kit turns on but they are just like my stock bulbs and I cant get the true colour. Anyone know how you could fix this problem?

link to what you bought?

vikings84
10-15-2009, 04:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/HID-KIT-XENON-CONVERSION-H1-H4-H7-9006-H11-H3-9007-9005_W0QQitemZ250513124946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a53beee52

They are ones just like that. One of my buddys got the exact same kit for his mustang and they work fine. Like they turn on but there not that blue colour. Then when I turn my high beams on the lights completly shut off. Also after I installed them my DRL's dont work unless I actually turn the light switch on.

Im hearing you might have to switch a wire around or something..What about taking out the DRL fuse. I dont wanna **** around with anything and frye something though.

vikings84
10-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Also it's actually a High and Low beam kit. Just like that one though

2000 GT Coupe
10-15-2009, 09:39 PM
With out having 4 lights your kit will only work for either lows or Hi's but not both.
the stock bulb has dual filaments, the low is a lower wattage filament and the high runs right next to it. The socket will have multiple points of power, when you swap in this kit it only works with one of those points.

AaronGTR
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
DRL's won't work with HID's because the car only sends low voltage to the lights for DRL's. It's not enough to power up the ballasts and make the bulbs ignite. They won't work on high beams either unless you get a kit meant for both. For color, 6000k is clean white, 8000k has a hint of blue, and 10000k has a lot more blue. Even 6000k should look a lot whiter than stock bulbs or even aftermarket halogen bulbs like sylvania silverstars. If they don't look really white or any hint of blue, they probably sent you the wrong bulb. They are probably 4000k.

vikings84
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Ok so if i pluged it in hows its supposed to be and im not getting that hint of blue bright colour their prob the wrong temp. It says 8000 on them i dunno there prob the wrong colour then. Cause if they work and light up there shouldnt be anything wrong with them right?

Bryan
10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Did you disable your DRLs?

vikings84
10-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I have not dicabled my DRL'S yet..But its weird after i installed the kit my drls stopped working. How do i disable them on a 99 grand am. Just take out that fuse under the hood?

2000 GT Coupe
10-17-2009, 12:38 PM
DRL's won't work with HID's because the car only sends low voltage to the lights for DRL's. It's not enough to power up the ballasts and make the bulbs ignite. They won't work on high beams either unless you get a kit meant for both. For color, 6000k is clean white, 8000k has a hint of blue, and 10000k has a lot more blue. Even 6000k should look a lot whiter than stock bulbs or even aftermarket halogen bulbs like sylvania silverstars. If they don't look really white or any hint of blue, they probably sent you the wrong bulb. They are probably 4000k.

I have not dicabled my DRL'S yet..But its weird after i installed the kit my drls stopped working. How do i disable them on a 99 grand am. Just take out that fuse under the hood?

Aaron explained why your drl's stopped working, with only one HID bulb the drl's do not send enough of a voltage to power the ballasts.
Do you get the SVS light with your current setup?

To disable the drls you do not just pull the relay you need to cut and splice a couple of wires at the BCM.
More info
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559

vikings84
10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
The SVS light is not on..These are BI-Xeonon lights too. Yeah i know i gotta go under the dash now to disconnect the wire. Can i just pull it out and put it back in if nothing happens. Or is there no point disabling them.. Will it even do anything to help the HIDS work?

2000 GT Coupe
10-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I have never done anything with bi-xenon lights, someone with experience with those will need to speak up. This is just a guess but if they are made to move they must have a elect motor to move them is this motor connected?

vikings84
10-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Not too sure. Like they light up now. But there not blue just look like plain stock bulbs. So I dont know if theres even a point of disabling the DRL's if its gonna make a difference or not. cause right now they act as if they are already disabled and i did nothing to them just put the HID kit in and my DRLS stoped working. My light only turn on if I actually turn them on. Or if its dark enough for them to turn on they turn on by themselves then.