rotated tires. new problem. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rotated tires. new problem.

350rs
10-15-2009, 04:29 PM
As the title states, i rotated my tires last saturday. At low speeds its fine. but today was the first time ive gotten over 55 since. When i got to about 70 there was a pretty noticeable wobble in the wheel. Which obviously means either out of round, or out of balance all the sudden. Now ive rotated tires on smaller cars and large trucks since i was about 15. So im no idiot. Ill check the torque again, but im sure its fine. My question i guess is how often does that sorta thing happen? I didnt notice anything when they were on the rear, but now i do. They are semi cheap tires as when i put them on i couldnt afford any better. I had them put on at dobbs.. they cut me a deal. I had the two which are on the rear now put on by my dad and they are fine. And also older. All 4 the same tire. I was just gonna see what yall thought before i called and raised a fuss about it with dobbs and potentially made myself look like an ass.

And since all was fine before the rotation, i ASSUME tie rods and ball joints are fine. But wouldnt hurt to have a look at them i spose.

lone_wolf025
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Few possibilities off the top of my head.

1. Are the tires directional and if so are they all facing the right way?
2. Check your rims. Its possible (but not likely) a weight fell off. If so you'll probably be able to see where it was. Also possible a rim is damaged and thus out of round.
3. Check the mounting surfaces of the rims and on the hubs/rotors. Its possible one of the rims/hubs/rotors were "matched" in terms of wear or corrosion on the mounting surfaces. A good wire brushing would solve this.
4. Check the tires themselves on the car when its jacked up and see if any of them wobble or look funny while turning.

Worst case none of these fixes the issue. If you can't find the problem take it to a shop and have them take a look. Also, see what happens if you switch the position of the tires. Its also possible its simply due to uneven wear in the tires but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

350rs
10-15-2009, 08:03 PM
all those ran through my head as well. I will try and check this weekend. And like you said, try switching sides. These tires arent directional. Like i said, el cheapos. lol.

350rs
10-17-2009, 12:47 PM
all weights in place. swapped tires side to side. flat edged rotors, hubs, and center of wheel. close visual of tires shows nothing out of the ordinary. checked all suspension and steering components up front and nothing seems worn or out of place. im stumped. Do you guys have any kind of vibration in the steering wheel about 60 or so? its not major by any means. but its not smooth. probably 1/16th of an inch or less of travel. but its enough to get REALLY annoying at speed on a trip or something.

I guess ill just have to bring it in and have it checked for balance. tires could be bulging too just a smidge that i cant see. so ill have to have them road forced as well. Wheel shouldnt be bent, i havent hit anything since i have owned the car. Rode smooth from what i remember.

Hmm... now maybe to solve this ill just rip it ALL out, make the car RWD and drop in a LSX. Put in a mustang 2 front suspension. First ever.. haha NOT!! Would be kinda neat though, and deff unique. lol

AaronGTR
10-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, if all the other stuff checks out like you said then there are only two things I can think of.

1) one of the wheels wasn't balanced well enough and you didn't feel it while it was on the rear but now that it's on the front you can feel it, or...

2) the alignment is off a little bit and/or the tires where left too long before being rotated so they "wore in" at the locations they were at and now that they are in different spots they don't sit on the road surface so well and need to wear in again.

That's my best random guess. :)

350rs
10-17-2009, 03:59 PM
my guess is it got either unaligned or unbalanced. for some reason. i religiously rotate every other oil change. so every 5k to 6k miles. unless these tires are just that bad..

ill try and get it checked sometime. i dont spend much time at those speeds. so other than excessive tire wear, its not really a worry of mine.

AaronGTR
10-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, there is always a chance a weight came off too. It happens.

350rs
10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
FOUND IT! Low air pressure. When i rotated i checked and filled as needed, but its got a screw in it. So it leaked out. Ill get it plugged and all will be well. BTW, pressure on driver front was only about 20.. lol