Dash Lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lights

excitement
10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
For the past few days, my 01 GT dash lights have been behaving strangely. Sometimes when I insert the key and turn it to the ON position, none of the dash lights come on. About 4-5 secs later (still on ON), all the lights come on. I then turn the key to START, the needles sweep then the IP dies. The car is still running but the IP is dead (rpm, speed, fuel, temp all say zero). About 4-5 secs later the IP comes to life (full lights and needle sweep again).

Any ideas? I have an appointment with the dealer soon. Just wondering if it's a bad dash or just a loose connection. It only happens on startup. Everything is fine when driving.

Mattyj724
10-20-2009, 01:39 PM
might be a relay fuze.. or a main connecter to the dash electical supply.. just hinking outloud.. if your going to a dealer.. then let them mess with it.

Pauljp
10-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Can you tell me... when the needles are not working, do your power windows work? or the fan for the HVAC, or the sunroof power?
All of these are related to the power wire going to the right passenger fuse panel.

excitement
10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Everything works including radio, sunroof, hvac and windows. It's just the gage cluster that takes a quick nap then wakes itself up after the engine starts.

Pauljp
10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
But when your cluster is taking a nap... during those few seconds... do the other items work during that time?

THEEMUTT
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
2 ideas I have for you:
1 could possibly just be the Ip needs to be replaced
2) Their is a problem with the n-bodys leaking water by the bcm, almost eveyr n-body will have some sort of residue on the connectors and pins going into the bcm. Pull the pink connector going into the bcm and clean the terminals. It might fix your issue, but no guarantee

excitement
10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
But when your cluster is taking a nap... during those few seconds... do the other items work during that time?

Yes. Everything works.

excitement
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
2 ideas I have for you:
1 could possibly just be the Ip needs to be replaced
2) Their is a problem with the n-bodys leaking water by the bcm, almost eveyr n-body will have some sort of residue on the connectors and pins going into the bcm. Pull the pink connector going into the bcm and clean the terminals. It might fix your issue, but no guarantee

I got an appointment Wednesday with the dealer. It had been raining in my area when this started happening. Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully, it's a dirty or lose terminal and not the IP. I'll post tomorrow with the results.

THEEMUTT
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
If it's a dealer be careful of them trying to sell you a complete bcm, or a reprogram besides passlock depending on how far they go

excitement
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Quick update. The dash problem hasn't occurred since the original post. I went to two dealers and everything looked fine. Both mentioned it could be a short circuit somewhere or a problem with the BCM but until it starts happening consistently they wouldn't recommend doing anything now at this stage. Thanks.

masterami
10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
You will have to take it to the dealer and have the "Light Interface" relay control module replaced. Or do it yourself and parts will be about $75. I had to replace mines twice thus far.........