Stock bulb for door switches? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stock bulb for door switches?

oldcarguy
10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Looking for a place to pickup bulbs to replace the ones in the door switches for my 01 GT, called dealership and they said need to replace whole switch ( don't think so), I have read here of a mod to go led but didn't want to get into that, just replace the original bulbs if possible.

So anyone know who the hell sells these little buggers?

Cheers!

AaronGTR
10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
There actually are no bulbs in the switches. They come with LED's stock. The people modifying them are actually changing the color of the LED's, not changing them too LED's. If they burn out, the only way to fix it is to replace the entire switch, or take it apart and solder a new LED in it.

btw, nice 'vette. Yours?

oldcarguy
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=AaronGTR;1099847]There actually are no bulbs in the switches. They come with LED's stock. The people modifying them are actually changing the color of the LED's, not changing them too LED's. If they burn out, the only way to fix it is to replace the entire switch, or take it apart and solder a new LED in it.

btw, nice 'vette. Yours?[/QUOT

Thanks for the reply and the info, spent t lot of time trying to find a replacment bulb and now I know why I couldnt.

Yep my Vett, had it for 20 years now, part of the family.

AaronGTR
10-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the reply and the info, spent t lot of time trying to find a replacment bulb and now I know why I couldnt.

Yep my Vett, had it for 20 years now, part of the family.

Nice. My Mom and Dad have several. His first was a '73 convertible that he's done a body off resto on. Anyway, good luck with fixing the window switch. :)

iceman
10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
There actually are no bulbs in the switches. They come with LED's stock. The people modifying them are actually changing the color of the LED's, not changing them too LED's. If they burn out, the only way to fix it is to replace the entire switch, or take it apart and solder a new LED in it.

btw, nice 'vette. Yours?

That's wrong all the way, they are not LED's, and there's no need to replace the whole switch or do any soldering.

I don't remember if this site has them or not -- http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html

Easiest thing to do is hit a junkyard and get replacement bulbs. I posted a how-to to change to LED bulbs, it explains in that thread how to get the original bulbs out.

AaronGTR
10-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Proof? I could have sworn I saw several threads on here about people changing LED's in everything in the car to change the color of their switches and everything.

iceman
10-24-2009, 07:46 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23803

AaronGTR
10-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Interesting... thanks. Never knew that. I just remembered seeing threads about people putting led's in to change colors of their switches.