HELP! Electrical issue!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Electrical issue!!

HaVoK~DOGZ~
10-22-2009, 04:26 AM
So here is the story- For the past 2 weeks from time to time when i start my car my gauges on my cluster DONT jump over like normal, gauge lights dont go on, if i had ac on it wont start, door chime/start up chime dont happen- all this takes about 1-2 minutes then my gauge cluster lights light up like normal at start up and everything resumes like normal.. my question is what do you guys think it can be- alternator? battery? electrical short?

Pauljp
10-22-2009, 05:27 AM
This little intermittent gremlin has been happening to me as well.
I don't think anyone has figured out what it is yet.
When it happens to me, my power windows or sunroof won't work either, as well as the things you mentioned.
I permanently hooked up a test light to the sunroof fuse in the right passenger fuse box, because it is the simplest circuit to troubleshoot and I figured once I figure out what causes it to not work during the intermittent gauge movement then the rest will fall into place. However, the problem hasn't come back. I have since disconnected the trouble light and everything has been working fine since. I've had it go a year with no problems, then suddenly it will act up for a few weeks. It's hard to troubleshoot when it does this.
I am just guessing but, I think there is no power getting to the passenger fuse box during the intermittent problem. This is probably coming from the main fuse box under the hood. Weather it is caused by corrosion on a wire, or a faulty relay, or the command signal to that relay from the ignition switch is still things I have to figure out. But in the meantime, mine hasn't acted up in over 2 months so I can't go any further.

2000 GT Coupe
10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Could it be in the ignition switch? You know when you turn it to start it drops power to send as much as needed to the starter.
and it is just taking extra time for the electrical contacts to go back to the run position.

Pauljp
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Could it be in the ignition switch? You know when you turn it to start it drops power to send as much as needed to the starter.
and it is just taking extra time for the electrical contacts to go back to the run position.

I don't think so. I have had it that I start the car, the HVAC/windows/sunroof/dash gauges don't work. The car still runs great. I back it out of the driveway, drive down the road when suddenly, the gauges reset, the chimes/windows/HVAC and sunroof all start working again, and it will remain working for as long as the car is running. When I shut the car off, then restart it, it may or may not happen again. Currently mine has not acted up in the past 2 months. It really is a weird problem.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think so. I have had it that I start the car, the HVAC/windows/sunroof/dash gauges don't work. The car still runs great. I back it out of the driveway, drive down the road when suddenly, the gauges reset, the chimes/windows/HVAC and sunroof all start working again, and it will remain working for as long as the car is running. When I shut the car off, then restart it, it may or may not happen again. Currently mine has not acted up in the past 2 months. It really is a weird problem.

thats exactly what mine does too!! my windows wont work either...

Pauljp
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
It's especially brutal after your car has been sitting out in the hot sun all day.
You get in, it's 118 in the car. You start it up and start to drive home.
The car won't let you roll down the windows or open the sun roof or turn on the fan.
You're dying in there.
Then mercifully, the car decides that you have suffered enough and sends power to these circuits and you are finally able to let the heat out and get some air.
Stupid evil car !!!
Did anyone see the "Were-car" episode on Futurama ? It's something like that.

http://futurama.overt-ops.com/images/c/c1/Were-Car.jpg

2000 GT Coupe
10-23-2009, 07:09 AM

to me that does sound like what would happen if you did not release the key and let it slip back to the run position.

try holding the key past the run but not quite far enough to engage the starter, it should not let the windows roll down or have gauge activity.

silvergt00
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
OK....so I have had the same problem, except I figured out that if I smack the dash really hard, everything will come on. Sometimes I will just be driving along and everything will shut down. I then had the problem with the intermittent turn signals and finally about a week ago replaced the hazard switch. Maybe its just one heck of a coincidence, but ever since I replaced the switch, my signals work fine and have not had to "smack" my dash to get my guages and windows to work. I have no idea how the two would relate to each other, but I know it worked.

rtmach
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I have the same problem started 2 days ago. I suspect the ignition switch or as someone mentioned a relay possibly. Just speculation at this point. My Check Engine light also came on which I believe is related to this. I will do some troubleshooting this wknd. Will let everyone know if I come up with a diffinitive answer.

Pauljp
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Any update on this thread?

rtmach
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, I did replace the back part of the ignition switch. That was without a doubt the solution to my problem. I could get at everything, although barely, through the radio opening and the switch opening. There are a couple of tricks to make the disassembly a little easier but I am sorry to say I do not remember what they were. Possibly, to separate the cylinder from the back assembly the key must be reinserted and turned to on and then a release button pushed in, not sure. Not that bad though. Remember to disconnect the harness and the little passlock connector.

cmtapanes
07-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I been having this issue for a while already. Gauges will not work; ac swith will not work and windows will not roll down/up. Some times they will work and somethine when they don't I hit the dashboard hard and everything works again but not all the time. I already replaced the gauge to a GT gauge and same issue continues.

Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

rtmach
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I would guess that it is in the ignition switch. I believe I picked up the parts from Autozone.
Just need to replace the back switch portion of the ignition. Like I said in a previous post, the key has to go back in and turned on to release the push button to separate the switch. If anyone knows differently or can elaborate on this please enlighten us.

cmtapanes
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I find out it has something to do with the two wire plugs on the back of the ignition switch; when I move the plugs everything works again.