No start and not cranking help please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No start and not cranking help please

Ottawacats
10-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Well this morning our 03 Grand Am GT 3.4 would not start or even crank over. I hooked up the battey charger and waited 15-20 minutes still nothing. Then afterwards I relaized the lights,windows,radio and etc worked fine. So this got me thinking that maybe it was a starter, well I hooked up my remote start button and tried still nothing. It kicked afew times but still nothing after that. I changed out the fuel pump relay with a new one and still nothing, I dont think I could hear the pump running (hard to do on a busy street in the morning) I have a new fuel pump coming to me for tonight but if there is anything else I should check before that please let me know.

I changed the key switch about 18 months ago and I will get a fuel filter tonight alwell before the pump. The car has 125,000km on it.

Thanks,
Matt

Pauljp
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Is your security light on?
Turn your key to the ON position for about 12 minutes.
Your Security light will flash telling you that it has relearned your key.
Then see if it starts.
Put your emergency brakes on so your headlights don't turn on and drain the battery while you are doing this.

Ottawacats
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info, completly forgot about reset passlock. I will try that when I get home. There were no lights on the dash last night when I drove home, only light was oil change needed(need to reset as oil is new)

Matt

AaronGTR
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Even if your security light is on, the engine will still crank. It just won't start. If the engine is not cranking at all, it sounds like a bad starter motor or starter solenoid to me. And, if the security light isn't on, don't bother doing the relearn procedure as it will not help.

I would have checked those before starting to spend money on new fuel pumps and such without knowing if that is the problem. ;) There is a pressure test port on the end of the rear fuel rail by the alternator and power steering pump. Take the little black cap off, put some rags or paper towels around it, and push in the pin in the center with a screw driver. This will bleed all the pressure off. Once that is done, go in and turn the key on again for 5 seconds, then go back out and check the pressure port again. If fuel sprays out when you push the pin in, your pump is working.

Ottawacats
10-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Well it seems the passlock needed a reset. It runs know we will see in the morning.
Could the dealer installed remote start cause this? I was told by a ex GM tech that some remote start kits by-pass Passloc/VATS. I tried the autostart this morning befor going to work.
The reason I got the pump was just incase I needed it, I work in the marine trade and do good business with a local auto parts store. They will have no issues give me a full refund on it

Matt