2002 Motor Swap [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Motor Swap

dudelove45
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
hey all,
I've just bought a 2002 GT and I'm swapping in that motor and trans in my 2000 GT. I just need to know is there any slight differences like with the fuel lines, injectors, or anything that may complicate my swap? Thanks.

AaronGTR
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
No, they should be identical.

dudelove45
10-27-2009, 10:07 AM
awesome. all right, next question. this new motor has about 50k but has been sittin in a garage for quite some time. Im already gonna put new oil in it and turn the crank by hand to get the oil movin around before i put it in the car. Im also puttin new tranny fluid, coolant, and any other fluids as well. Is there anything else i should do to make sure my swap goes perfectly? Thanks.

hass
11-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Is there a how to on motor swaps?
or pulling a motor at least?

Haynes manual doesnt seem to helpful -.-

Im mainly wondering about unbolting the trans from motor.

AaronGTR
11-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Not a complete "how to" that I know of. It's a pretty straight forward process really, just time consuming since there's a lot of stuff to drain, disconnect, and remove. The manual should be able to help you for any individual stuff you have questions on.

For unbolting the trans from the motor. There are like 6 or 8 large bolts that go through the flange on the trans case into the engine block to remove. Before that you need to take out the three bolts holding the flex plate (aka flywheel or starter wheel) to the torque converter. You have to unbolt the starter motor first, then you can rotate the flywheel with a pry bar or large screw driver between the gear teeth and trans case. Take out the spark plugs first to make the engine easier to turn. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

dudelove45
11-02-2009, 11:10 AM
awesome guys. i'm not gonna do the swap until next year spring (hoping my tranny will last until then). and im gonna take a week off vacation that way i don't rush anything or screw up anything. i'll let you know if i have any further questions or problems. thanks again.