LIM Gasket leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gasket leak

Ground Hugger
10-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Hello; first of all I'm new to the forum and I have been reading about the LIM gasket leaking situation. And I have been doing some wondering. I know people who never check there fluid levels,:banghead they leave that up to there mechanics to do when they take there auto in to have service done. Now this leads to the question. How long can you drive the car with a LIM gasket leak that leaks into the cooling system and does not give any indication that there is a leak. How will this affect the car?;crap Will there be any engine damage or other problems?:blushing: Just wondering and really would like to know.:angel

rocketfast123
10-28-2009, 01:12 AM
The LIM can do many things. I never really heard about it getting into the coolant system since that is under pressure.
1. On our 3100 it was a external leak under the intake. It would burn off before it reach the ground. Rode like that for two years with none getting into the motor.
2. Or it can leak into the engine, mixing with oil making all kinds of goodness.
3. All of the above

As for how long can you ride with this. Well depends on how big a leak it is, and where it's at. And are you down to change your oil like every 1k?

Ground Hugger
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe it was the upper intake gasket I'm thinking of!

chris_gt_74
10-28-2009, 12:49 PM
If you are leaking into your coolant system then you could have a similar problem that I just repaired with a head gasket. What I mean is a leaking head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder itself and allowing the cylinder to over pressure the cooling system by forcing exhaust gas into the system. This is what was happening to my car this past week. I was throwing a random P0301 SES code and could feel in the idle a noticeable misfire.

[ChaosweaveR]
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
When my LIM gasket was going bad, coolant was being burnt off in the intake, so it wouldn't show in the oil, or see white smoke in the exhaust, but the coolant level would go near empty every month.

AaronGTR
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
When the LIM gasket goes bad you don't get leaking into the cooling system. That would be head gaskets. Since the cooling system is under pressure and there is minimal pressure in the oil galley the coolant seeps out and gets in the oil. Technically... there is no amount of time that it is safe for that to happen. The coolant thins out the oil and it causes premature bearing failure. Realistically... it depends on how long it's been leaking, how much coolant came out, and how good the oil is you are using. If I found out it was leaking, I certainly wouldn't drive the car at ALL if I had any choice. The more you continue to drive it the greater chance you are taking of having even more expensive engine repairs in the long run.

Malaclypse
10-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, the oil should boil off any water or coolant that happens to leak into the crankcase. It'd have to be a small amount, though. And that's said from a purely academic standpoint. It actually assumes that the oil gets up to 230 every time you drive.

Yes the best idea is to fix it ASAP, but if its a small leak you can drive on it for awhile.

AaronGTR
10-29-2009, 11:25 PM
The oil can boil off some water, but it can't burn off the ethylene glycol from the coolant. At least not that I've ever heard off. The boiling point of a 50/50 water/glycol mix is 225 F, but I don't know if that just boils out the water, or the glycol too. Either way it takes a while to get oil to 230, and some people may never get there in their regular driving, and even if they do they whole time it's cold before that the coolant is getting circulated in the oil system. I personally wouldn't leave it in there for any length of time.