GA wiper arm problems. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GA wiper arm problems.

Tank33
10-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I am just curious if anyone else is experiencing the same havoc with wiper arms as me.

Ever since I have bought this car, I have had a heck of a time trying to find wiper blades that do not make any noise, or "skip" across the windshield. I noticed after a while of having reflex blades on the car, that the angle of the passenger side arm was so off, that the blade sat on an angle against the window, not flat. Whenever the wiper would move, it would "collapse" the rubber blade, and the large center plastic piece of the reflex blade, would smack against the windshield. This has become very annoying.

What I figured would solve it is, I put a regular old normal blade on the passenger side, and one of those new rain reflex blades. The passenger side angle is still an issue, and the blades make no noise on there way up, but going back down, the angle is so great, that the blade skips across the windshield, making the dreaded noise.

Are my wiper arms bent, or is this a normal Grand Am problem?? I bought a set off of a person from here, I compared them, and they look to be exactly the same angle when I hold them side by side.

It seems as if I am cursed and it is seriously wearing on my patience here. Every single car I have owned has had noisy wipers I was never able to cure, and I am sick to death of listening to the wipers make awful noises. I want silent, smooth wipers like other people.

SO...to get to the point, what are YOU running for wiper blades, and do your arms present a problem for the angle of the blade?

himfanzach
11-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Kinda seems like you have them on 2 high when not needed. But never had a problem even with the 2 dolled ones of course always used rainx also so dk.

Tank33
11-01-2009, 12:27 AM
They do this at any speed.

KhellendrosxS
11-01-2009, 04:43 AM
What brand of blades are these?

I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of the Bosch ICON blades with the airfoil and have had zero issues with them.

It sounds like you are just using cheap blades that are not holding the edge or the rubber is not or good quality.

Pauljp
11-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Boy, am I ever glad you brought up this thread.
I have never been so happy with my wipers as I am now.
I couldn't wait until it rained again so I could try them out.
And yesterday was the day.
I have done mega research on wiper blades for the same reason... noise.
For me, it turns out, it isn't the blades, it's the windshield.
I went to Canadian Tire and bought the 207ml yellow bottle of Rain-Ex for $5.
It's a type of wax for your window.
Clean and dry the outside of your window first.
Apply Rain-Ex on a clean cloth and apply it in a circular motion to your window.
Let it dry to a haze, just like wax.
Buff it off with a clean cloth.
I was amazed at how quiet the wipers are.
And the best part, on the highway driving over 80kph you don't even need your wipers.
The airflow is enough to keep your windows clear. The water beads and flows off the window.
The back window is also dry.
Invest five bucks and do your front and back.
I don't think you will be sorry.
Let us know how you did.

himfanzach
11-01-2009, 12:23 PM
My parents swore by that stuff so I've used it sence driving. Quess that's why I never heard noise like the 2 above me.
Haven't even had wipers in like 2 yrs just rainx and it's been fine soon as hit 30 no water on rain shield