99 GAGT sunroof problem :( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT sunroof problem :(

GrandAmGTTT
11-01-2009, 05:16 PM
So I go to open my sunroof with the that plastic cover interior piece halfway back and when i opened the sunroof i forgot it wasn't all the way back and the window ended up rolling on top of the interior cover piece and caused the passenger side to no longer shut. It looks like its off track now or something. The drivers side half is all the way down, and the passenger half is stuck up. I have no idea what to do. Also the sunroof no longer can move.

GrandAmGTTT
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
anyone else have this happen to them or know how to go about fixing it?

masterami
11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
In all honesty I wold say take it to a sunroof installer if you don't have experience in this matter.

GrandAmGTTT
11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
ya thats what i figured i would need to do.

masterami
11-01-2009, 05:49 PM
You could try removing the headliner and taking a peek and seeing if there is any obvious visual signs of whats wrong with it. But as I said earlier sometimes its easier to leave it to the pros.

GrandAmGTTT
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
You could try removing the headliner and taking a peek and seeing if there is any obvious visual signs of whats wrong with it. But as I said earlier sometimes its easier to leave it to the pros.

hmm ya as i looked at it today, i think i may try to just do it myself. Doesn't look to complicated. I am pretty good at figuring things out so i think after my classes finish today i'm going to start taking things apart, and luckly there isn't any rain coming for like 4-5 days. I need to save as much money as possible. Plus i'm patient enough to teach myself/learn more about this so i can help others out

GrandAmGTTT
11-02-2009, 11:04 AM
i'm going to try and keep it updated but if i can't figure it out then i'm just gonna take it to the pro's

KhellendrosxS
11-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Josh, when you start in on this chances are you are going to find that the sunroof has jumped off track on the side that wont close.

To get up in there you will need to pull down the rubber strip on the interior of the car that goes around the headliner. Then pop the switch for the sunroof out with a screwdriver and you should be able to pull the headliner down enough to see what is going on.

There is a thick black rod that has a coil of wire wrapped around it and it is that coil that the motor turns to open and close the sunroof. One side may have gotten out of line and that is why it wont close. The worst case scenario here is that you have stretched out that winding on the cable in which case you will need to have a shop fix it. Mine just jumped (didnt stretch the wire) last spring when there was some ice on the sunroof. It stopped every time in the vent position and would not close. I had to run the motor all the way back and pull the cable out of the winding gear and run the motor closed an inch (then hit the 'open' button again to stop it so it didnt go all the way closed) and then hooked everything back up and it was all dandy. Youll see a red gear in the motor that you may be able to turn (I couldnt) but it will open and close the roof too.

Definately a job to be done in daylight.

GrandAmGTTT
11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Josh, when you start in on this chances are you are going to find that the sunroof has jumped off track on the side that wont close.

To get up in there you will need to pull down the rubber strip on the interior of the car that goes around the headliner. Then pop the switch for the sunroof out with a screwdriver and you should be able to pull the headliner down enough to see what is going on.

There is a thick black rod that has a coil of wire wrapped around it and it is that coil that the motor turns to open and close the sunroof. One side may have gotten out of line and that is why it wont close. The worst case scenario here is that you have stretched out that winding on the cable in which case you will need to have a shop fix it. Mine just jumped (didnt stretch the wire) last spring when there was some ice on the sunroof. It stopped every time in the vent position and would not close. I had to run the motor all the way back and pull the cable out of the winding gear and run the motor closed an inch (then hit the 'open' button again to stop it so it didnt go all the way closed) and then hooked everything back up and it was all dandy. Youll see a red gear in the motor that you may be able to turn (I couldnt) but it will open and close the roof too.

Definately a job to be done in daylight.

well i got the ceiling off, and i ordered a new one for 50 bucks, this job really isn't hard lol. I will be pulling the whole assembly off and putting a new one up. I will be trying to fix this one and selling it if i'm able to fix my original one

GrandAmGTTT
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
so i just fixed it lol and i already bought a new one to replace it lol oh well i guess i'll just sell one of them. It was very easy to fix. If you ever need some help on your sunroof just pm me and i'll see if i can help you out.