Power Steering whine in 20*F or colder (cold start) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering whine in 20*F or colder (cold start)

2000Gt Grand Am
11-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I had this problem last winter & at first i thought it was my Serpentine belt but it looked fine. I was thinking it might be my power steering cuz it only whined when i turned & it often makes the noise when i start the car (cold start) in sub-zero weather. Anyways before this winter sets in i was wondering if there is anything to stop this noise. I don't think the fluid has ever been changed (since 03').

Malaclypse
11-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Try looking for some Cold Climate power steering fluid.

I think its just a synthetic fluid that's more resistant to cavitation during cold temperatures. GM made some.. another version that I think works is Valvoline Synpower P/S fluid.

You could give that a shot. The best way to change the fluid is to use a turkey baister to empty the resevoir then refill it with the Synthetic. Turn the wheel from lock to lock a bunch of times. Then repeat the baisting process. Eventually you'll get most of the fluid to be the synthetic.

2000Gt Grand Am
11-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Ok, ill try that out & see if that will work, wont be able to tell until the cold weather sets in. Thanks!

AaronGTR
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree. Try changing out the power steering fluid for some synthetic. It is more resistant to changes in fluid viscosity with temperature, so it will not thicken up as much when it's really cold out. It definitely sounds like it's the PS pump whining from what you described.