3400 cam sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3400 cam sensor

stonemason90
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
the cam sensor on my 3400 failed and i dont know where its at or how to replace it. anyone know where and how?

stewartfn18
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
its on the top of the block behind the timing cover. there is a connector and a bolt that hold the sensor. pretty staight forward to replace

Grandamgtblk99
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Just remove the power steering pump, and you can replace it. Its easy as long as you know how to remove the pump.

stonemason90
11-16-2009, 10:56 PM
oh ok i know what your talking about.... but after a bit of more diagnosing i dont think its the cam sensor... idk what it is but all i know is that the injectors arent firing yet its got fuel pressure im thinking crank sensor but idk....

Malaclypse
11-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Is your security light flashing with the key on, engine off?

stonemason90
11-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Is your security light flashing with the key on, engine off?

no its solid on.

stonemason90
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
i just tried starting it and when i stopped turning it over the security light turned off but it came back on when i tried starting it again.

realestdriver
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
i'd suggest looking into tht security system problem, it should go off.

stonemason90
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
i'd suggest looking into tht security system problem, it should go off.

the thing is is that it quit running while i was already driving for 15-20 mins if it was a security problem wouldnt it have not started to begin with? plus wouldnt it reset if the battery was unhooked? ive had the battery out of it for the past 2 days while i drove my other car that didnt have one.

stonemason90
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
sure would be nice if someone thats good at diagnosing could come take a look at it for me cuz i just cant figure out the problem..... i tried the turn the ignition to on position for 10 mins and turn it off to reset the security but that didnt work.....

Malaclypse
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry, mate.

Michigan is a little far.

stonemason90
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
i was more hoping for someone around here that could stop by when they had time cuz ill admit it... diagnosing electrical problems isnt exactly my strong point.....

AaronGTR
11-23-2009, 09:30 PM
the thing is is that it quit running while i was already driving for 15-20 mins if it was a security problem wouldnt it have not started to begin with? plus wouldnt it reset if the battery was unhooked? ive had the battery out of it for the past 2 days while i drove my other car that didnt have one.

Yeah, I would think if it's a security issue it wouldn't have just quit in the middle of driving, but it's not impossible. Disconnecting the battery won't do anything for that though. All that does is reset the fuel trims. The security code is a bunch of codes that are cycled through and have to match the code in the BCM. How many times did you try the key on key off procedure? It actually takes more than once. You have to do it three times before it activates the security learn function. It's a 30-45min operation.

If I still lived in Shelby I'd come give ya a hand... but it would be kinda a long drive for me now, sorry. lol

stonemason90
11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I would think if it's a security issue it wouldn't have just quit in the middle of driving, but it's not impossible. Disconnecting the battery won't do anything for that though. All that does is reset the fuel trims. The security code is a bunch of codes that are cycled through and have to match the code in the BCM. How many times did you try the key on key off procedure? It actually takes more than once. You have to do it three times before it activates the security learn function. It's a 30-45min operation.

If I still lived in Shelby I'd come give ya a hand... but it would be kinda a long drive for me now, sorry. lol

i did it twice.. the guy i talked to said if it didnt do it by the second time it wouldnt... ill try it 3 times and let you know what happens.... and yeah it would be a bit of a drive..... heck id consider shelby a decent drive.....lol

stonemason90
11-23-2009, 10:07 PM
i just thought of something..... would you know if the car has a fuel shutoff for crashes? because maybe a pothole triggered it and shut it off.... and i know you gotta manually turn them back on.

stonemason90
11-24-2009, 09:01 AM
ok just tried the security ignition reset 3 times... didnt work....

also realestdriver, it says in the book that ignition on, engine off the light should be on. ignition on, engine on, the light goes off. if it comes on while the car is running it means the passlock security system isnt working and should be repaired.....

well thats what the book says anyways..... mines ignition on, engine off, lights on so it must be working.... although.... when i tried resetting the security the lights supposed to go off then you turn the ignition off then try starting it.... which the light never went off..... even though i left the ignition on engine off for a half hour..... it never went off....

AaronGTR
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
usually if it's the security also it will start and run for 3-5 seconds and then shut off and not start again. You said earlier the injectors aren't firing... are you sure about that? How did you check? I'm just asking because if it's not a security issue, and you have fuel pressure and the injectors are working, then it is probably an ignition problem instead of fuel. I've had that happen where my engine just shut off on me once while I was driving, and it ended up being a bad coil.

stonemason90
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah actually i intentionally tried flooding the engine to see if i can tell if the injectors are firing and the plugs were wet so yeah the injectors are firing... also out of nowhere it did like 4 firing rotations then died and i havent been able to get it to do it again.... and... im not sure but it sounds like its backfiring... its not necessarialy a popping sound but its definately a noise coming out of the intake.... so maybe timing?

edit i saw a thread about a rough idle which mine had prior to it not running at all and someone said to clean the map and egr, so i did, basically the car sounded like it was carbbed when it was running.... but the previous owner told me it had a larger cam in it so i chalked it down to that..... but when he said it had a rough idle and that it sounded like it was missing to try that i thought maybe that could be it... no harm, no foul in trying..... i also cleaned the iacv to no avail... but... the iacv was pretty clogged.

stonemason90
12-18-2009, 08:24 PM
ok so i finally managed the time to pull the cam sensor out its definately the problem 2 out of the 3 wires are frayed im getting a new one this weekend then finally itll be back on the road and i can focus my attention back onto rebuilding the motor in my other car....

stonemason90
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
finally picked up a new sensor.... havent had time till now because of the holidays, but it should be back on the road within the week