Someone please give me a hand... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Someone please give me a hand...

Silentbob538
11-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey thanks for your time to read this,

I have a 2001 Grand Am with a 3800, and I'm wondering why the switch for the heater ( one through five dial) only worked on 5 for a bit, and now doesn't work at all, is it the switch or a relay? And also, the rear defog and ac buttons don't illuminate when i push them, and they don't work either, is this related to the switch not working? I checked every fuse, and not a one is blown...

Any feedback is EXTREMELY appreciated, thanks.;crap

AaronGTR
11-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Hey thanks for your time to read this,

I have a 2001 Grand Am with a 3800,

No you don't. The car never came with that motor. You have a 3400.

... and I'm wondering why the switch for the heater ( one through five dial) only worked on 5 for a bit, and now doesn't work at all, is it the switch or a relay? And also, the rear defog and ac buttons don't illuminate when i push them, and they don't work either, is this related to the switch not working? I checked every fuse, and not a one is blown...

That's a pretty common problem. Usually it's the blower motor resistor up under the passenger side dash. 1-3 tend to burn out most often but sometimes all five go out. With the A/C and rear defog buttons not working either there is a possibility that there is a problem with the HVAC unit in the dash itself (the control panel) but I'd check the resistor first. It's cheaper. ;)

scott_c83
11-13-2009, 08:10 AM
That's a pretty common problem. Usually it's the blower motor resistor up under the passenger side dash. 1-3 tend to burn out most often but sometimes all five go out. ;)

1-3 went out on mine, what part should i buy? getting a manual today, but do you have to take the dash off to get to it?

Lab Rat
11-13-2009, 08:30 AM
No, you don't need to remove the dash. But you will twist yourself into a pretzel to climb under the dash. Probably took me 1/2 hour + to get mine changed. Make sure it "clicks" into place so the electrical is connected.

scott_c83
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
can you take a camera down there and snap a pic?

notsoaveragej0e
11-13-2009, 08:59 AM
can you take a camera down there and snap a pic?

thats what she said.

scott_c83
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
bah! i knew someone was thinking ...double meaning...lol

Lab Rat
11-13-2009, 09:17 AM
No, I'm at work. Second, I'm really old. You'll find it. More towards the pass side. The second screw is the tough one to find/remove.

hahano404
11-13-2009, 09:19 AM
go out and get you a blower motor resistor. take a look at it, esp the connection end. look under your pass dash. remove the plastic covers and find the part that resembles your new one. (hint) its really close to the firewall. couple screws, unplug, remove than reverse procedure.

BattousaiX33
11-13-2009, 11:51 AM
1-3 went out on mine, what part should i buy? getting a manual today, but do you have to take the dash off to get to it?

it's under the glove box, there is a plastic cover you remove first and then you can access the area. here is a link with pics. http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42552

AaronGTR
11-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Yeah, it's in the passenger foot well under the dash. Have to take the plastic kick panel down to get to it. It's actually behind the BCM (computer looking thing with several harness plugs in it) and the glove box. It's a pain to get out, but you really can't miss it if you get a new one and know what the part looks like.

Mike Jung
11-13-2009, 06:27 PM
HVAC 1,2 not working - Replacing the fan blower resisitor (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346)

scott_c83
11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
i got it.... have to do 2 tomorrow...yuk.

...and i'm fat, gonna have a heart attack...lol