Grease in front passenger wheel well [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grease in front passenger wheel well

Pauljp
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I was putting my winter tires on today, and I was doing the front passenger side.
When I removed the wheel, grease was all over my fingers.
I noticed that there was a lot of grease all around the wide end of the CV boot near the hub.
I cleaned it all off to look for something out of the ordinary but found nothing.
The boot looks good, the clamp around the big end is secure.
I can't see anything out of the ordinary, and I have been driving my car until now with no noticeable problems.
What could it be? Where did all the grease come from?
Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreaciated.
Paul

KhellendrosxS
11-13-2009, 01:48 PM
It sounds like your boot has torn. The tear may not be very large but at high speeds it doesnt have to be big to fling grease everywhere.

If it is grease (not oil) then it is definitely the CV.

KmGADfw
11-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Sounds like broken CV boots to me. It might be just a crack that allow grease to come out when you turn, but not visible when parked. Clean it up and drive and make a few left hand turns and check again...

Pauljp
11-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Well I jacked up the entire front end which allowed me to turn the hub which also turns the CV boot and I checked as best I could and still found nothing.
I put my winter tire on and took it around the block.
I weaved back and forth, made a few left and right hand turns.
Listened for anything out of the ordinary.
I could not hear or feel anything wrong.
I don't know how long the grease has been there as it was last spring when I put my summer tires on and there was no grease there at that time.
I will drive it for a few days and take another look to see if any more grease is there.
I will let you know.
I noticed that there isn't a How-To do for CV Boots.
Is that because they are so simple to do that it doesn't require one, or is it because no one has done one yet.

AaronGTR
11-13-2009, 05:12 PM
It doesn't take much trust me. If there was any on the CV boot at all, and it was all over in the wheel well.... it's the CV boot. You probably just missed the hole. They spin so fast that there can be a pin hole you can't see at all, but it will stretch open at speed and fling grease everywhere. It has happened to me. I went and got an alignment once and noticed grease in my wheel well after I got home took the wheel off and it was all over the CV boot. I had to take the boot off to actually find the hole, but it was there. It was a bit of work to change it, but the boot itself was cheap. I don't know if the guy at the dealer did it by accident or on purpose thinking they'd make money on another repair... of course he didn't know I had the tools to change it myself so they made nothing. :heh: I know it wasn't there before I took it to them though because I changed the oil and rotated the tires before the alignment.

Pauljp
11-13-2009, 06:53 PM
The more research I do, the more I agree with you guys that it is the boot.
So how easy is it to replace?
There is no how-to that I can find.
Any walk-through from anyone?

AaronGTR
11-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Well, it's not easy. You have to take the wheel off of course, and remove the brake caliper and bracket so you can get the disc off, then take the axle nut off so you can pop the axle out of the hub so you can slid the boots over the axle. The axle nut is big, like 1 3/8" if I remember, been a while since I had to take it off. If you don't have a socket that big and a heavy duty air impact gun, don't try it yourself. You'll never get it off.

If you have those tools, then go ahead and spray the nut and axle with some wd40 or penetrating oil first, then disconnect the tie rod end and lower ball joint from the upright. This will let the upright hang from the upper strut mount but let you pull it out. Get the axle nut loose with the impact gun but leave it on the end of the axle to protect the threads, then pull out on the upright while hitting the end of the axle with a big hammer. That will get the axle to pop out. Take the nut the rest of the way off and push and pull the axle and upright until you can get it out.

Then it's just a matter of cutting the metal bands that hold the old boot on and removing it. Clean up the CV joint if the grease looks dirty, or if it's ok just add some fresh grease and grease the inside of the new boot too. Slide it on and crimp the bands (bull nose pliers work good for this) then reinstall everything. Getting the axle back in the upright can be a PITA. I usually put a jack under it so I can compress the spring to move it up and out enough to get the axle back in. Some people just unbolt the top too, but you need to get your alignment checked then.

Pauljp
11-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds easy enough... :crazy:
What could possibly go wrong ?
I will try it and let you know.

Tank33
11-14-2009, 05:34 PM
I had this happen about 5 months ago or so.

To buy just the boot and put it on, was about $60 cheaper than buying an entire CV shaft. I bought an entirely new CV shaft and had it put in (have no garage to do this kind of stuff, I wish I did) and it has lifetime warranty, so the shop said, if it cracks open again, bring it in, we will replace it free of charge.

Pauljp
11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
To buy just the boot and put it on, was about $60 cheaper than buying an entire CV shaft. I bought an entirely new CV shaft and had it put in (have no garage to do this kind of stuff, I wish I did) and it has lifetime warranty, so the shop said, if it cracks open again, bring it in, we will replace it free of charge.

That is exactly what I found out today as well. They said it is easier to replace the entire shaft than just the boot, and doesn't cost a lot more.
So now I am contemplating what to do.
Today I drove it around a bit going to speeds of 100kph. When I got home I checked the boot and it didn't have any grease on it. It looked good.
So what is this telling me?
Is the CV totally out of grease that there isn't any more to leak from the boot?
How can I check how much grease is in the boot?
If it was dry, then wouldn't it have burned on me during my driving today?
Where else would the grease that I cleaned yesterday have come from?
It still drives well with no noise or anything.
I don't really know what to do now.
Any help please?

heeroyue2002
11-14-2009, 06:52 PM
i had what looked like a lot of grease on my wells because i kept over doing on the gel tire shine stuff. It didnt help that i kept avoid a carwash. i noticed it was that though since the stuff i use smells like grape.

Tank33
11-17-2009, 12:22 PM
That is exactly what I found out today as well. They said it is easier to replace the entire shaft than just the boot, and doesn't cost a lot more.
So now I am contemplating what to do.
Today I drove it around a bit going to speeds of 100kph. When I got home I checked the boot and it didn't have any grease on it. It looked good.
So what is this telling me?
Is the CV totally out of grease that there isn't any more to leak from the boot?
How can I check how much grease is in the boot?
If it was dry, then wouldn't it have burned on me during my driving today?
Where else would the grease that I cleaned yesterday have come from?
It still drives well with no noise or anything.
I don't really know what to do now.
Any help please?

My honest guess is all the grease is probably flung out by now. Even at 50 KM/H, it does not take long to empty a CV boot of grease into the wheel well. If you decide to leave it, you will start to hear a clunking noise and you might even start to feel it. I strongly suggest you just change the entire shaft, it cost me just over $250 to change the entire thing, just better off to do that, and not worry about it.

It's a 1 hour labor job, and about $140 for the new CV shaft.

Pauljp
11-17-2009, 12:47 PM
yup, I'm sure that is what happened.
I've been flip-flopping around trying to figure it out when the answer is right in front of me.
There was a lot of grease. What else could it have been. (rhetorical)
Time to get a new axle and get it done. Then no more worries.
Thanks all...