fuel pump info [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump info

panmanhd
11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I was driving down the road yesterday and my 02 gagt just quit. It had plenty of battery power, lights radio pw's etc, so i thought it must be the fuel pump, i checked the pump fuse, it was good, i ltook the fuel filter off the line and cranked the engine, no fuel came gushing out. So i'm figuring a new pump, the old one is oem with 163,000 miles, I have never done one on a newer style car, (my other car is a 57 buick and a 59 chevy truck) Is there a fast and easy way to drain the tank and remove it without too much pain? I have never pulled a tank with a pump in it, just sending units, Also what else could cause the engine to crank but not run? I'm sure i have spark, The last time this happened it was crank senors, they have been replaced. i need to get this thing out of my garage soon so any info would be greatly appreactied.

Malaclypse
11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
The lack of any fuel coming out of the line with the filter removed screams fuel pump.

Draining the tank can be a pain.. not sure if these cars have anti-siphon valves or not. Other than that, removing the tank is removing the tank. No shortcuts to speak of. Other than prying the heatshield/strap assembly on the driver's side down and sliding the tank towards the passenger side to remove.