who makes a good spark plug? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : who makes a good spark plug?

realestdriver
11-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I pulled three front plugs today, all of them were cracked. Going to buy new ones tomorrow, any suggestions?

Mike Jung
11-20-2009, 07:40 PM
For what application ?

I would say NGK Iridium IX, part # TR55IX spark plugs.
It is what GM uses in the later model years GA's.

(GM had NGK make their iridium spark plugs.)

& replace the spark plug wires too, if it has been a while.
The AC Delco ones are ok/good enough.

alerored04
11-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Anything except bosch if it is a v6. the 3400's seem to hate Bosch's.

blario
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
x2 on NGK Iridium.
Great performance plus Iridium tips for long service intervals (don't know if you tried pulling the rear plugs yet but believe me, not something you want to do often).

BOOTMASTER
11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
blair, that sig cartoon with MJ is awesome....

(not you mike jung :) )

cardude007617
11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
cant lose with NGK, as they are a OE supplier for a few car companies

realestdriver
11-21-2009, 09:25 AM
alright thanx
it was my ngk plantiums tht were cracked, back row was ok
replacing all and wires

MMGT1
11-21-2009, 09:47 AM
I use 'el cheepo copper plugs and replace every 20K. I have to run 2 ranges colder because of compression so I use Autolite 104's gapped at 50 tho instead of 60 tho.

IanGT99
11-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I had the Bosch +2's for nearly 4 years and I'm now running the Bosch platinum single tip plugs. I've seen no problems with them at all. Putting in the platinums actually erased some of the knocking problems I was having. NGK Iridiums are the best for the GA IMO, but anything with a single platinum tip is just fine if you're not running insane performance mods. As has been said, the rear plugs are a total b*tch to replace.

MMGT1
11-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I can do those rears in my sleep now, LOL. But that comes after many times using my wifes compac mirror to get that dam #5!! Thats the bish one :)

IanGT99
11-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Let me correct my original post... from reading many reports, the Autolite platinum plugs seem to not do so well in our cars. No one can really say why, but they seem to cause misfires. Stick with AC Delco, Bosch, or even Champion plugs.

Jake
11-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I've always ran NGK's.

Never had a problem.

Malaclypse
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
I had the Bosch +2's for nearly 4 years and I'm now running the Bosch platinum single tip plugs. I've seen no problems with them at all. Putting in the platinums actually erased some of the knocking problems I was having. NGK Iridiums are the best for the GA IMO, but anything with a single platinum tip is just fine if you're not running insane performance mods. As has been said, the rear plugs are a total b*tch to replace.

Have you compared the size of the platinum tip in the Bosch plugs vs Delco? Its basically a pinprick. The material is going to wear down alot faster than it should.

I'd still reccomend sticking with Delco or NGK over anything else. Platinum works fine but Iridium does as well. At the price point (and my discount) I'll take platinum.

blario
11-23-2009, 12:29 AM
All the more reason to use NGK Iridium.
A spark will more readily jump from a corner or a fine point on a plug.
The tip measures 0.6mm on an Iridium plug.
And the iridium has an extremely high melting point at 4471 deg F. Which is 1200 degrees more than platinum. <(thank you Wikipedia)

IanGT99
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Have you compared the size of the platinum tip in the Bosch plugs vs Delco? Its basically a pinprick. The material is going to wear down alot faster than it should.

I'd still reccomend sticking with Delco or NGK over anything else. Platinum works fine but Iridium does as well. At the price point (and my discount) I'll take platinum.

You know, I got to thinking after I said I had the Bosch plugs and I don't. I'm running the Champion platinum plugs. They seem to work well and they were inexpensive.

SSRacer
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I run AC Delco Iridiums....that are made by NKG...lol

ioseida
11-30-2009, 01:13 AM
What about pulstar any one has tried those?? they go for about 15 bucks a piece dnt need a spark plug change yet but soon I will..pulstar says they got like 10times more watts and saves gas

AaronGTR
11-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Yeah, they claim all kinds of things.... have yet to see any proof. No way I'd pay $15 a piece for some plugs. Even if they actually do make any gains, it wouldn't be a large enough difference to justify $78 for plugs.

Still, I'd love to see someone dyno test these some day. Problem is most aren't willing to spend the money.

IanGT99
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
^^^ Just like electronics. When it first comes out, it's really expensive and not very widely used. However, if the technology is good enough, it will get less expensive to produce, less expensive to buy, and more widely accepted. (i.e. VCRs, DVDs, and now BluRay) If the Pulstars are really this radical new design concept which give all sorts of hp and mileage gains, they'll stick around and become more cost effective. They just aren't right now.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Mags have tasted the Pulstar plugs and have seen WHP gains. I know Modified Mag did a test on them with a 350Z.

PhantomLover007
11-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I run AC Delco Iridiums....that are made by NKG...lol

Ditto

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Ditto

Fail on you and Sean.

It's N G K. :hay:

PhantomLover007
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
:p

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
It's all good. I've actually said NKG when trying to sell them to customers at my store by accident. lol

AaronGTR
11-30-2009, 05:20 PM
;1103971']Mags have tasted the Pulstar plugs and have seen WHP gains. I know Modified Mag did a test on them with a 350Z.

Yeah, I read that same article. Question is, how much do you trust a magazine article about a part they just happened to start advertising for in their magazine? I'd prefer to see some independent testing. And still the HP gain they got was minimal for the amount of money those plugs cost.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Good point. But, I see plugs like this only when you have a built motor with boost or spray. It's like the MSD coils for the LA1. Unless you're boosting, there's no real increase.

Malaclypse
11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Boost or spray only means that its a good idea to run one or two heat ranges colder. Sticking with the standard plug design will provide the best and most consistent performance.

The only horsepower increase you'll measure from replacing a set of plugs will be from replacing worn out parts.

IanGT99
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
From what I've seen on here (or if I've just missed it altogether), there hasn't been much talk of the E3 Diamondfire plugs. Anyone have any real world experience with these things? HP/mileage gains? They seem to be decently priced for what they claim to do. I just haven't had the need to look into them yet.

Malaclypse
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
From what I've seen on here (or if I've just missed it altogether), there hasn't been much talk of the E3 Diamondfire plugs. Anyone have any real world experience with these things? HP/mileage gains? They seem to be decently priced for what they claim to do. I just haven't had the need to look into them yet.

Just don't bother... use factory plugs.

My arguement for that blanket statement is this. If all of these gimmicks like the Tornado and all of these special plugs worked; Don't you think they'd be installed in the vehicle from the factory?

blario
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I haven't tried E3's yet but I have sold them to a few friends at the parts store I work at.

They both claimed a difference on the ol' butt dyno.

But then again, I have no idea what kind of shape their old plugs were in.

IanGT99
12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Just don't bother... use factory plugs.

My arguement for that blanket statement is this. If all of these gimmicks like the Tornado and all of these special plugs worked; Don't you think they'd be installed in the vehicle from the factory?

Not at all... they're more expensive to produce, so it would cost GM more money to put higher end plugs and parts in. Cost to benefit. If you get 25mpg with stock copper plugs that cost 72 cents and 27mpg with an E3 that costs four bucks a plug, a manufacturer is gonna go with the copper plug every time. I'm just looking to see if anyone has actually used the E3's. The tornado, the "horsepower chips" from Ebay, and clamp-on exhaust "turbos" have been proven to be gimmicks. The jury is still out on the E3's cuz I haven't heard of anyone that ACTUALLY tried them in a GA.

Malaclypse
12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Not at all... they're more expensive to produce, so it would cost GM more money to put higher end plugs and parts in. Cost to benefit. If you get 25mpg with stock copper plugs that cost 72 cents and 27mpg with an E3 that costs four bucks a plug, a manufacturer is gonna go with the copper plug every time. I'm just looking to see if anyone has actually used the E3's. The tornado, the "horsepower chips" from Ebay, and clamp-on exhaust "turbos" have been proven to be gimmicks. The jury is still out on the E3's cuz I haven't heard of anyone that ACTUALLY tried them in a GA.

You're not taking into effect things like CAFE standards which can cost GM millions of dollars a year. Not to mention they'd get the parts near cost due to such a high volume, mark them up and add it to the base price of the vehicle. Noone would really notice an extra $200.

That and advertising is everything. If they can beat the competition by 2 mpg then they'd be happy to tell you so.

realestdriver
12-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I had forgot about this thread. I found out a while back that ac delco platinums were stamped ngk and started buying ngk. This time around I went with ac delco rapid fire plugs, so far so good.

AaronGTR
12-03-2009, 05:40 PM

You're not taking into effect things like CAFE standards which can cost GM millions of dollars a year. Not to mention they'd get the parts near cost due to such a high volume, mark them up and add it to the base price of the vehicle. Noone would really notice an extra $200.

That and advertising is everything. If they can beat the competition by 2 mpg then they'd be happy to tell you so.

He's also greatly exaggerating the difference between the factory parts and an aftermarket plug. They didn't use copper plugs from the factory. Pretty much every plug has a copper core, but most factory plugs use platinum or iridium tips because straight copper doesn't have a long enough service life. There isn't going to be much difference between a factory iridium tip plug and these E3 whatevers...

And there's also the point that changing spark plugs is going to make diddly squat difference in gas mileage. Spark plugs do not affect air/fuel ratio or how much gas you burn. Your right foot does. As long as your plugs are making a spark, changing from one type to another is going to make NO DIFFERENCE in performance! The only reason to change plugs is if there is something wrong with your current ones that is causing a misfire, or if you've modified the engine to the point that you need to change the heat range of the plugs to prevent detonation.

blondiez24gt
12-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I tried the E3 sparkplugs in my Z24. I changed them all, and put the plug wires on, and then I had a miss. I pulled a plug wire at a time until I found which one was bad. It was 1 in the back can't remeber which. I stuck one of the old plugs back in there, and drove down to get another E3 plug. Put it in, and then it started missing again. I was a bit confused. I pulled the wire on that plug, and it got worse. So I put it back on, and it was one in the front not firing right. So another trip to the parts store. Then again the same thing. For some reason those E3 plugs would not all work like there suppose too. Five of them with a cheap ac delco would work, but not all 6 together. I took them all back, and got acdelco iridiums. They worked perfectly. I'm not saying there a bad plug, but for some reason they wouldn't work in my 3.1. It had brand new coils, and taylor 8.2 thundervolt wires too. So I dunno why they all would not work at the same time.

IanGT99
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
^^^ Perfect. Real-world experience. That's what I was looking for. Guess it goes to show that the E3's, although a decent idea for a tip design, are not any better than a regular iridium or platinum tipped plug. Even if they did work well, it would be hard to justify the price difference.

punski89
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
so basically i just put the original plugs and wires back on my 05 GT? shes due fer some

PhantomLover007
02-23-2010, 02:28 PM
1st off. *welcome*

Yes. The OEM plugs and wires work great.

IanGT99
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Yep. I just actually went back to the stock wire size. I had a set of 8mm Taylor SpiroPro wires for well over 5 years and 80,000 miles. They worked well, but one of the boots ended up getting rusty. I just got the stock 7mm size. Unless you have done some serious mods to your engine, upgraded plugs and wires are not necessary. You won't see any noticeable gains in power or mileage. The only gains you'll see are if your plugs and wires are REALLY old and the you swap them out for new ones. Kinda like when you get a fresh oil change and the engine runs smoother and stronger. Some will swear by NGK Iridium plugs on here. I think it's the best plug out there bar none, but it's a little overkill for a GA. A plain jane, single-tipped copper or platinum plug will work just fine.

Laser57
02-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Let me correct my original post... from reading many reports, the Autolite platinum plugs seem to not do so well in our cars. No one can really say why, but they seem to cause misfires. Stick with AC Delco, Bosch, or even Champion plugs.

I run the Autolite platimum plugs in my car and the they are great for the most part except when the motor is cold and especially when the motor is cold and between 5000-6000 RPM it hesitates really bad. When its warmed up all the way theres no problems. Next time I change them I will probally spend the extra money and get Champions.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I run the Autolite platimum plugs in my car and the they are great for the most part except when the motor is cold and especially when the motor is cold and between 5000-6000 RPM it hesitates really bad. When its warmed up all the way theres no problems. Next time I change them I will probally spend the extra money and get Champions.

Why the hell would you get such a lousy brand of plug for the motor? Autolites only seem to work well in some Fords and Chryslers, not GM. Champion? You might as well shove dirt into the cylinder chambers.

The LA1 works best with the NGK made AC Delco iridium plugs. pt # 41-101. Yes, they're six bucks a pop, but it's what is supposed to be used with the LA1 motor. The ignition systems we have (waste spark) is very tough in plugs, and you need a double platinum or iridium, otherwise the plugs will be burnt out in no time. Do it right the first time.

IanGT99
02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
If you're not seeing any problems with the plugs, then that's great. There have just been some horror stories going around about them. I had Bosch +2's for 4 years with no problems and there were also horror stories about them as well. Just a plain platinum plug works fine. I have about 10,000 miles with the Champions and new Bosch wires now and all is well.

stillriza
05-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Bringing up an old thread. I went to the dealer and some autoparts stores to price some delco plugs, and was quoted roughly $17 per plug. When I checked on Autozone for comparison..they carry the stock Delco Iridium plugs for only $6.99 per plug??

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=391388_0_3258&skuDescription=Ac-Delco+/+SparkPlug&brandName=Ac-Delco&displayName=SparkPlug&skuDisplayName=Ac-Delco&categoryNValue=14299999&navValue=14200033&categoryDisplayName=SparkPlug&parentId=42-0&itemId=33-10&productId=391388

Wanted to confirm if that was the correct delco plug Autozone had advertised. If so, then the price diff is focking crazy.

AaronGTR
05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks right to me. Dealer prices are always inflated so I'm not surprised.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Yup, my Iridium 41-101 plugs were $7 a piece through Autozone. No surprise on the doubled dealer price.

DrFabulous
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
AC Delco factory plugs are still the best for 99.9% of applications.

Right? I haven't looked into plugs in years :o

[ChaosweaveR]
05-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Ding.

DrFabulous
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
;1123069']Ding.

Thought so. I've been telling people that for years, never really bothered to see if there was anything new that popped up.

That reminds me, I need to pick up a set and change my plugs. Not looking forward to it.

[ChaosweaveR]
05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Not so bad. Just do it while the motor is cold. lol

I moved the ICM out of the way, and used a good extention with a universal joint, plugs and wires were done in an hour. :)

Malaclypse
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
A locking flex head ratchet actually works wonders on the rear bank. That with a 3" extension and a spark plug socket and the job is a piece of cake.

At least the GAs aren't like the W-bodies where the rear head is actually an inch or two closer to the firewall.

PhantomLover007
05-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Chris,do you liek to change your oil when it's hot too??? lol lol

[ChaosweaveR]
05-02-2010, 01:58 PM
It's best to change it while it's at running temp. ;)

Then again, I have access to a four wheel lift, so it's quick and easy for me to do oil changes. lol

PhantomLover007
05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm sooo jealous....

[ChaosweaveR]
05-02-2010, 02:22 PM
:P

Being a former mechanic from the local Meineke has its perks. lol

PhantomLover007
05-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Oooohhh. I gues I'll have to stick to the autocraft shops on post... lol

stillriza
05-02-2010, 05:59 PM

I am sure they are.. but i was surprised that it isnt just the dealer but most other auto parts stores quoted roughly the same at $17/plug...locally atleast.

I think though I will try the TR55IX NGK plugs mentioned in various threads here. I found them online at a cnd retailer for $8.50 per plug. As for the wires..

The same online retailer has the Taylor 8MM wires for roughly $58/set.
They also carry Prestolite wires (http://www.autopartsway.ca/autoparts2/index.cfm?fetch=part~ID=2003~Pontiac~Grand%20Am%20 GT%203.4%20V6~240803) for roughly $50 for the set. I've never personally heard of Prestolite...but a qoogle shows they Manufactor the OE wires for Ford, Chrysler, Honda, General Motors, Nissan, and Harley Davidson. The look like our stock plugs as well. Anyone ever tried those? Stock performance for less than half price of what the dealer quoted me?

AaronGTR
05-02-2010, 09:28 PM
If you want Taylors I still have a set of lightly used Spiropro wires for the grand am, sell 'em cheap.

DrFabulous
05-02-2010, 09:30 PM
If you want Taylors I still have a set of lightly used Spiropro wires for the grand am, sell 'em cheap.

I need new wires :whistle:

stillriza
05-02-2010, 09:58 PM

I'm down. How much is cheep. PM me and I'll give you my shipping address for shipping qoutes.

AaronGTR
05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I had 'em up in my big sale thread for a long time, almost had a buyer, but he never did send the money so I still have 'em. I'll PM you.

bricooper78
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
is there any other wire manufacturers that have decent wires? i just want something a little better than stock, 96K on her, it's time to be a changing plugs and wires and i don't race, but a little upgrade isn't a terrible idea in my eyes either

our o'reilly has 2 dif ngk's that are 6.80 or 9.99 a plug. i didn't have the model number on me so i'm not sure which was which

Malaclypse
05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I'd say go for the platinum NGKs or Delco plugs.

As for wires, there are a couple mentioned in this thread. I had good luck with Magnecor wires, even if they're a bit on the pricey side. They've got a nice look and solid feel to them. And, well... they perform like spark plug wires should.

bricooper78
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
that's good enough for me man thanks