Transmission filter seal removal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission filter seal removal

xinuflux
11-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Anyone have success in removing the transmission seal during an oil/filter change? I wasn't able to get it out and left it, replacing only the filter, hoping it won't cause damage.

But I want to make sure I can remove it during the next change.

One repair manual suggests using a slide hammer and an axle boot remover (pretty expensive tools). Plus I don't have much room to maneuver when the car is up on ramps, wasn't sure the tools would even be useable if I wasn't using a lift.

Thanks for any advice.

Bryan
11-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Hmm I really don't remember having any kind of issue when I did mine.

MMGT1
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
You are talking about the round seal inside the pan in the bottom of the trans? If so, drop the pan and use a hammer and a standard, slot, screwdriver. If you put the screwdriver against the "lip" of the seal and then use the hammer to fold one side in toward the middle of the seal it will drop out easy and you can put your new one in there. If that seal is leaking in there you could fail the trans. That seal should be replaced every time a trans filter is installed.

Malaclypse
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't see how that seal could "leak" as its under vacuum and not pressure.

The only possibility would be of it drawing fluid between the seal and filter assembly allowing debris into the trans..

But my thought is that if the debris is small enough to get through that kind of hole... its probably too small for the filter to catch anyways.

If you still want to replace the filter seal, go buy a seal puller from your local parts house for ten bucks and use that. It looks like a double-sided hook with a handle. Stick one hook behind the inner lip of the seal and ise the flat side of the hooks as a fulcrum... easy as pie.

xinuflux
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I did score the seal a bit trying to pry it with a screwdriver but hopefully Malaclypse is correct, particles that get past that damage are going to be small.

It looked like the main function of the seal was to give the filter a place to seat firmly.

I plan to do the next change with a seal puller!

I appreciate everyone's advice.