It did it AGAIN [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : It did it AGAIN

350rs
11-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Passlock.. worst idea ever.

I had the ignition cylinder replaced about a year ago, a little more maybe. Havent had a lick of trouble since. i go to start it up and it would just turn over but not fire. i was already late so i had to leave it and drive the truck instead. Which that isnt a big deal, cause i love that truck.. but anyway. Does the computer have ANYTHING to do with passlock? or does it have its own setup seperate of the computer? All of my other problems may also be solved by a new/properly working computer.

If all else fails and it happens again, im going to have to try that wire trick, anybody done it SUCCESFULLY? i mean no lights, worked ever since.

My job fell through, i was "over qualified" which means they wanted somebody who knew nothing about it. So i cant get a new truck like i had planned. So repair is my only option at the moment.

Grandamgtblk99
11-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Its controlled by the BCM.

2000 GT Coupe
11-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Passlock.. worst idea ever.

I had the ignition cylinder replaced about a year ago, a little more maybe. Havent had a lick of trouble since. i go to start it up and it would just turn over but not fire. i was already late so i had to leave it and drive the truck instead. Which that isnt a big deal, cause i love that truck.. but anyway. Does the computer have ANYTHING to do with passlock? or does it have its own setup seperate of the computer? All of my other problems may also be solved by a new/properly working computer.

If all else fails and it happens again, im going to have to try that wire trick, anybody done it SUCCESFULLY? i mean no lights, worked ever since.

My job fell through, i was "over qualified" which means they wanted somebody who knew nothing about it. So i cant get a new truck like i had planned. So repair is my only option at the moment.
I went this route
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

Take a 2.2K 1/4 watt resistor and wrap one end of it around the stripped part of the black wire several times so that you have a good mechanical contact. Then solder the joint. Make sure you use enough heat to draw solder into the joint. A 25 watt iron is sufficient. Please note... I arbitrarily chose to use a 2.2K resistor. Some posts have suggested reading the resistor value with an ohmmeter, but all ohmmeters don't read the same value when there are electronic components in the circuit. We will later be teaching the Body Control Module to recognize the resistor we chose, so it doesn't matter what size you use. It can be anything from 470 ohms to 11800 ohms. I suggest something between 2000 and 4000 ohms.

Wrap the stripped end of the yellow wire from the connector around the other lead of the resistor and solder it in place, making sure you have a good solder connection. If you don't know how to do electrical soldering, it may be a good idea to ask your local computer tech to give you a lesson.

this works No idiot security light and no problems I did this last spring.

AaronGTR
11-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I've never heard about anything with wires and resistors for this car. Usually the security light is a problem with the codes not matching up between the PCM and BCM. I haven't completely read the section in my manual on the passlock system and ignition system though, so I suppose that could have something to do with it. There usually can be several causes for these problems.

350rs
11-27-2009, 07:58 PM
hasnt done it since.. maybe it was just a freak accident. I think im going to let it go and maybe if something happens again fix it.

but its tied into the BCM and NOT the ECU. But it was mentioned that there is a signal between the two?

2000 GT Coupe
11-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I've never heard about anything with wires and resistors for this car. Usually the security light is a problem with the codes not matching up between the PCM and BCM. I haven't completely read the section in my manual on the passlock system and ignition system though, so I suppose that could have something to do with it. There usually can be several causes for these problems.

The key in the ignition has some resistance and the BCM reads that and if the resistance does not match the stored value it sends a signal to shut off the fuel pump, and turn on the security light.

350rs
11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
so could it maybe even be the key?

2000 GT Coupe
11-28-2009, 12:20 AM
so could it maybe even be the key?

the key is just metal, Some gm cars had keys with built in resisters, this does not.
The Ignition switch itself is the problem, by doing the bypass you are cutting the wire that goes from the switch and placing a known resister in then let the car learn it and it will never change again.

350rs
11-28-2009, 08:01 AM
unless the switch was installed wrong or has already gone out it shouldnt be the problem. it was new from the dealer a little over a year ago.

AaronGTR
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
the key is just metal, Some gm cars had keys with built in resisters, this does not.
The Ignition switch itself is the problem, by doing the bypass you are cutting the wire that goes from the switch and placing a known resister in then let the car learn it and it will never change again.

That doesn't mean you might never have issues with the passlock security system again though. The codes in the BCM and PCM still have to match. That is part of the passlock system.

2000 GT Coupe
11-28-2009, 03:18 PM
unless the switch was installed wrong or has already gone out it shouldnt be the problem. it was new from the dealer a little over a year ago.

I have heard nothing good about the passlock in the ignition switch. they go out often.
Not all of these will be from passlock but I bet most of these search results will
I searched ignition switch problems

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2043647

And another with ignition and passlock problems
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2043653

IanGT99
11-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Honestly, I did the jimmy-rig method. Mine would act up twice a week and I got sick of it. I got the car to turn on, pulled out the wires from behind the lock cylinder, and snipped the yellow one while the car was running. Then I just put some electrical tape on each end, put everything back together, turned the car off and on again, and everything works just fine. The security light is on constantly now, but I strategically placed a piece of electrical tape over it so that I don't see it. Now, I could very easily take one of the 2.2 ohm resistors and solder it into the wiring to get rid of the light, but my car has started every single time with no problems for over 4 years now. I don't see any reason to try to fix something when it works just fine. May not be the best way to do it, but it works for me. Although I love my car and have for nearly 8 years of ownership, it's not worth anything. My TV is worth more than my car at this point. I'm just gonna drive it into the ground and get something new when the time comes.

blazingerbs
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
weird but mine acts up when i hook up my ipod thru the tape deck and/or charge thru cig lighter
seems to not happen if the radio's power is switched to off while starting, just somethig i noticed
something funny with gm electronics...

Y2KGA
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Try removing the ignition switch and reseating it a few times. This will scrape off the oxidiation on the pins and will help get a better connection. This isn't a permanent solution but you should get a few months out of it.