WTF is wrong with my car? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with my car?

tipnitty
11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
So saturday night while traveling down the highway ~70mph my battery light came on and my RPM's dropped to 0. So I put the car in neutral and struggled to get the car to the emergency lane. I let the car sit for a few minutes. My trans temp was normal, oil pressure was normal, water temp normal, and voltage was normal. So I went to turn the car over. The car would almost turn over but didn't sound like it had enough juice to crank it over. So I called a tow truck (covered by insurance) and they took it to their shop. Went there sunday and tried to jump the car. Car started and ran for about 3 seconds and died. SOUNDED HORRID. Loud knocking, violent shaking, sounded like open header, and rattling. Exhaust is on tight so that wasn't any of the noise. Mechanic says he will be looking at it wednesday.

Any thoughts about what the problem might be? The heads were completely rebuilt using stock parts 12k miles ago and the head gaskets were changed aswell. Car currently sits at 132k on a 99 GA GT.

Thanks in advanced guys.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe a spun bearing? Odd how the battery light came on. I'd check all the alternator's connections, grounds, and battery cables, but that sounds nasty...

tipnitty
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
The cars electrical system is in perfect working order, other than the fact that I need a dry cell battery. The battery even turned out to be good still. Spun rod bearing is a possibility.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
That's what it sounds like to me. Good excuse for an upgrade. Oho.

tipnitty
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
;1104064']That's what it sounds like to me. Good excuse for an upgrade. Oho.

would if i had monies...

2000 GT Coupe
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
by chance did you suck up any water?

tipnitty
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Haven't seen a drop of rain in a month

cardude007617
12-01-2009, 02:15 AM
seized pulley (s) ?

tipnitty
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Cam shaft broke under cylinders 2,4,6.....trashed the motor and trans.....car is finished

SikMindz
12-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Ouch!

PhantomLover007
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Holy fock. How much is it gonna cost ya to fix?

tipnitty
12-01-2009, 12:40 PM
even if i get a used motor and trans.... i cannot do it myself and have to have a shop do it since i am simply too busy. he said if i got my own motor and trans it would still be over $1500 in labor. Its bull**** but i simply can't shell out that kind of money since i'm not working and in school full time.

PhantomLover007
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Fock...

tipnitty
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Its been real, its been fun, its been real fun. but i just can't come up with the $$ so all my parts are listed.

cardude007617
12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
guess the motor just had it. good luck on the mini part out

plastic_indian
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
guess the motor just had it.

That was unfortunately a pretty common failure point in 3x00s for awhile in the late 90s when many (or all?) of the cams were hollow. In several instances I've seen one of the center journals wear through the bearing and into the iron of the block, suggesting that flexing of the cam is at the root of the problem, followed of course by seizure and subsequent snapping of the cam.

I'm a little surprised that the trans was damaged, however - how did that happen?

tipnitty
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
just driving 70mph at 2k rpm and the car just shut off.

2000 GT Coupe
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
just driving 70mph at 2k rpm and the car just shut off.

That should not damage the trans, its not a manual that has direct drive to the engine.

IanGT99
12-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh my... That's heavy stuff. I was gonna guess a seized pulley before you said the crank went. I would agree that it probably wouldn't have damaged the tranny. You can pick up a junkyard engine for $4-500 or so. It's the labor that sucks. Do you know anyone personally that would have access to an engine lift and some automotive know-how? I've never done it, but swapping an engine can be done fairly easily as long as you're swapping in the same engine. Electrical connections, hoses, clamps, bolts, etc. are all the same. Try enlisting the help of someone on here that might be close to you. What are you gonna do for transportation right now?

GrandAmMe
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Damn thats horrible. Did it sound something like these vids?
Just read the description and the guy says its a broken camshaft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAE2OkLUUOY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAwfew3AFY&feature=channel

AaronGTR
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
That was unfortunately a pretty common failure point in 3x00s for awhile in the late 90s when many (or all?) of the cams were hollow. In several instances I've seen one of the center journals wear through the bearing and into the iron of the block, suggesting that flexing of the cam is at the root of the problem, followed of course by seizure and subsequent snapping of the cam.

I'm a little surprised that the trans was damaged, however - how did that happen?

The cams in these cars are still hollow, so that is very possibly the root of the problems.

I'd be really surprised if the trans was damaged too. I would think all it would need is a new motor or a rebuild. Either way it is still gonna cost a good bit. Sorry about your luck man.

cardude007617
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM
still is a pretty serious ass failure without any major mods or anything.

IanGT99
12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
^^ I had a serious ass failure after Thanksgiving dinner last week... boy did it hurt... lol

PhantomLover007
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
^^ I had a serious ass failure after Thanksgiving dinner last week... boy did it hurt... lol

:nono: ;attention... lol

GrandAmMe
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Oh Thats naaasstty...(Family guys Cleveland voice)

IanGT99
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Paul left himself wide open on that one. Had to take it... lol

350rs
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
where in STL are you? my piece needs lots of stuff

tipnitty
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
That should not damage the trans, its not a manual that has direct drive to the engine.

Oh my... That's heavy stuff. I was gonna guess a seized pulley before you said the crank went. I would agree that it probably wouldn't have damaged the tranny. You can pick up a junkyard engine for $4-500 or so. It's the labor that sucks. Do you know anyone personally that would have access to an engine lift and some automotive know-how? I've never done it, but swapping an engine can be done fairly easily as long as you're swapping in the same engine. Electrical connections, hoses, clamps, bolts, etc. are all the same. Try enlisting the help of someone on here that might be close to you. What are you gonna do for transportation right now?

The cams in these cars are still hollow, so that is very possibly the root of the problems.

My trans was shifting weird and hard and acting up the past months so my guess that any other add stress might have put the trans out of his misery...i'm not sure.

Damn thats horrible. Did it sound something like these vids?
Just read the description and the guy says its a broken camshaft.

Sounds similar, only mine shake a lot more violently and sounds a whole hell of a lot worse. also wont run after 2 seconds

where in STL are you? my piece needs lots of stuff

I'm in Lake St.Louis. Hwy 40 and Hwy N. I'm not 100% sure what all you are looking for.

But thanks for the help guys. I've been calling around trying to see if i can get a motor and people to help out but when it comes down to it, i don't have time. I would really like to do it myself but its just out of the question. I feel bad for giving up on the car but its just gotta be done.

350rs
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
very familiar with that area. Im in st. charles. I need a center defrost vent thing.. what color is it on your car? or are there even variable colors? and also the cig lighter.. mine didnt come with one and it bugs me to have a hole there.. and i want the factory lighter.

and maybe your throttle body? how much for all that?

tipnitty
12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
my system shook the fock out of my car and that vent was cracked and broken to hell. I have someone interested in the car as a whole so i will let you know if a few days when i get the car back to my house. If the buyer falls through you can come by and take take what ever parts you want. i'll sell them all pretty cheap.

350rs
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
dahhhh dammit. all i REALLY wanted was that vent. But yea let me know what happens. i may or may not need that TB