Plastic moulding above bumper coming off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Plastic moulding above bumper coming off

jetpackjeff
12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
So my 2003 grand am GT1 has the black plastic molding strip just above the bumper. It seems the glue holding it on is starting to wear off and it is coming up at a few spots. Any ideas how I can stop it from coming off/repair the spots popping up?

thanks!

If a picture is necessary in to show what is happening I will be sure to post some shots but I am sure this is a kind of common problem.

Bryan
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
If it's coming up in a number of spots I'd just buy a new strip. That or use some sort of adhesive at each spot, but then you'll probably end up ripping more off to get the adhesive under there.

PhantomLover007
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah. There is adhesive you can buy from places like AutoZone for the molding. I had to use some for the black pads where the doors open.

scott_c83
12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
head to wal-mart and pick up a roll of 3M tape in the auto section(double sided)

rip it off so that you have more on the car than in ur hand... use a razor blade to get excess off the back of the strip... clean the groove out as best you can...

apply 3M to groove stretching it just a little(going to be a little wider than moulding)

press firmly on moulding all the way to the end, tuck the end in the hole at the end...you'll see

total price of fix===about 3 bucks

PhantomLover007
12-01-2009, 01:59 PM
That'll work too

jetpackjeff
12-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Thx guys!

GAGT_99
12-10-2009, 10:27 PM
head to wal-mart and pick up a roll of 3M tape in the auto section(double sided)

rip it off so that you have more on the car than in ur hand... use a razor blade to get excess off the back of the strip... clean the groove out as best you can...

apply 3M to groove stretching it just a little(going to be a little wider than moulding)

press firmly on moulding all the way to the end, tuck the end in the hole at the end...you'll see

total price of fix===about 3 bucks

bump...

yes, i know your thread existed.

I have an issue too with the bumper moulding, it's all hanging off the car. I pulled some back to look behind it and...

GAGT_99
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
My problem is with the OE trim backing that is stuck to the car all the way around the rear bumper. The shop just put the new trim over top of that and that's why the new trim is basically hanging off the car.

Obviously, I would need to buy new molding and pull off what's there.

What would you guys suggest for removing the left over backing that seems like it's glued on? It looks like white double sided tape... but really old and really stuck on.

Also... it's like 30 degrees for highs in pittsburgh... would doing this in winter weather ruin the adhesion of the new molding strip???

any ideas, suggestions would be great thanks guys.

scott_c83
12-11-2009, 05:18 AM
no, just rip it all off...no need to buy new moulding unless its fudged up....

just get some more 3M tape

start from middle and work your way to the sides... if you have extra moulding, there are 2 holes at each end of the groove to tuck moulding into

GAGT_99
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
ok... cool. i guess i'll get into it this weekend. thanks for the reply bro. i will try to use warm soapy water too for removing the old leftover tape/glue.

thanks again.

GAGT_99
12-11-2009, 08:17 PM
another qustion...

is the molding all the same for the whole car?

at pfyc.com they have molding... but it says front left and right bumper... nothing about rear.

scott_c83
12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
rear is the longest piece... front bumper is 2 pieces....

the stuff from PFYC is a vinyl decal to cover black stuff....if you need the black moulding, best bet is in JY,,, when you buy any brand of aftermarket bumper, they dont come with it...

scott_c83
12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
a lot of junkyards don't part with the moulding either... bumper has to be unuseable to get it....

best bet is to be dishonest and rip it off a good one... take to cashier and say you have no clue what it is, but you could possibly use it for something in your garage.... to accent something...lol