My car doesn't start (happens randomly) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My car doesn't start (happens randomly)

storm
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a 2003 3.4l (Alero but that should be the same, right?) with approx 80k. Now and then it refuses to start. it turns over just fine, just doesn't fire.

I can know that this will happen when I turn key to on. I hear the fuel pump humming most of the times, when I don't the car wont start. When this happens I can just cycle the key from acc to on until I hear the fuel pump again. Also the times when I can't hear the pump the door locks start acting weird.

I have changed my fuel pump and battery, but that didn't help. The security light is not flashing so it is probably not the passlock issue, I have tried the relearning procedure with no success. I have checked the BCM and it looks like new (bye eye). I have an obdlink that doesn't give any codes.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be, I am running out of ideas.

Thanks!

cardude007617
12-01-2009, 02:15 PM
does this happen with the engine is warm?

storm
12-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for replying. This can basically happen at anytime, I have not seen any pattern. It can happen 3 minutes after I have been running it or five hours later.

PhantomLover007
12-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Ignition fuse? Battery wiring or terminals?

storm
12-01-2009, 03:26 PM
I have checked all the fuses, but it wouldn't make sense for it to be a fuse, since it comes and goes without me touching the fuse. I have checked battery terminals, where are other main terminals to check on these cars? for example where does the fuel pump ground attach to the car?

2000 GT Coupe
12-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I know you said the security light is not lighting but I wonder if it could still be with the passlock, as that system shuts off the fuel pump.

storm
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I am thinking something similar, I have noticed that if you turn the key slowly from acc to on first the fan and the lights come on, then a couple of degrees keyturn later the fuel pump engage, it might be so that when I run into problems this last step is not recognized, it would also make sense since when you go from the fuel pump engaging position back to the fan on position the doors try to unlock, this is also what happens when I have this problem.

Does anyone here know how the ignition cylinder/switch looks or works.

handymandan98
12-04-2009, 05:10 AM
I had the same exact problem with my 03 grand am at 76,000 miles. I got fed up enough to take it to the dealer. They said there was a short in the ignition switch, replaced it for around a grand.. no more problems!!

IanGT99
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I had the same exact problem with my 03 grand am at 76,000 miles. I got fed up enough to take it to the dealer. They said there was a short in the ignition switch, replaced it for around a grand.. no more problems!!

A thousand dollars for an ignition switch?!?! owned:

Passlock bypass. Search for it.

2000 GT Coupe
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a question for anyone that is having this random car not start, and no security light.
A bit of back ground first.
When you turn your car to the run position the service engine light comes on, and goes out when the car starts obviously, at this time you should hear the fuel pump humming.
Now when your car wont start do you see the service engine light or does it not come on.

I had this happen a few times now myself. I turn the car on the ses light does not come on and I do not hear the fuel pump I turn the key off, pull it out and redo the sequence and the ses light comes on and the engine starts.

storm
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
This is the exact same behavior I am seeing! I disabled passlock yesterday, but that did not solve it. I have measured the voltage over the fuel pump relay and it is not activated when the car doesn't start so it is not the pump itself.

I think it is either the ignition switch or the BCM alternatively a connection there between. But I have been wrong many times about this now...

2000 GT Coupe
12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I still think it is in the bcm sending a signal to the pcm not to allow the fuel pump. One day it was a real pain it was not working after 6 attempts I got my lap top with my obd2 software and checked the codes and cleared the bcm and pcm and it started right up.
Thing is there were no codes stored.

storm
01-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Update: I finally solved the problem after several attempts. It was the ignition switch part no (2002+): D1470E or 22737173. I paid 25 dollar for a new one on ebay, change was pretty easy, just remove the radio and instrument cluster, from there is it pretty self-instructive.

Thanks for all your help.

carlos m.
05-16-2010, 11:13 PM
This could have been the fault of a bad fuel pump relay located at the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment.

ltpats
05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I have checked all the fuses, but it wouldn't make sense for it to be a fuse, since it comes and goes without me touching the fuse. I have checked battery terminals, where are other main terminals to check on these cars? for example where does the fuel pump ground attach to the car?

Right, a fuse is either good or it's bad no inbetween

ltpats
05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I have a question for anyone that is having this random car not start, and no security light.
A bit of back ground first.
When you turn your car to the run position the service engine light comes on, and goes out when the car starts obviously, at this time you should hear the fuel pump humming.
Now when your car wont start do you see the service engine light or does it not come on.

I had this happen a few times now myself. I turn the car on the ses light does not come on and I do not hear the fuel pump I turn the key off, pull it out and redo the sequence and the ses light comes on and the engine starts.

My 04 is driving me nuts, I replaced the ignition cylinder, still cranks but wont start unless I crank the battery to dead, hook a 60 amp boost then it starts and runs fine. If I leave it sit overnight, same thing, crank no start, I can hear the fuel pump come on. Now I find if I disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect in the morning it will fire right up, as a side note I have also noticed that some times when I put my car in park the doors will not unlock like they are supposed to, I'm thinkin BCM is on it's way out??????????

2000 GT Coupe
05-17-2010, 08:47 PM
My 04 is driving me nuts, I replaced the ignition cylinder, still cranks but wont start unless I crank the battery to dead, hook a 60 amp boost then it starts and runs fine. If I leave it sit overnight, same thing, crank no start, I can hear the fuel pump come on. Now I find if I disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect in the morning it will fire right up, as a side note I have also noticed that some times when I put my car in park the doors will not unlock like they are supposed to, I'm thinkin BCM is on it's way out??????????

Possible, I seemed to have made mine work, I had a all metal key, no plastic cover.
I got the key with the plastic head and now it never gives me problems, I am thinking the electrical of the ignition is bad and the change of resistance of the all metal key vs the insulated, from me, of the plastic helps.