How did you fix your heat ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How did you fix your heat ?

louisville
12-04-2009, 08:40 PM
2000 gagt
heat stopped working all of a sudden 1 day -
checked the coolent level -
resivor was empty -
filled resivor -
heat worked fine for a couple of days -
then ....

the heat started working on and off as the temp gauge went close to 200,
and as the thermostat opened , and the gauge read a little cooler, the heat
went cold again ?

i would like to hear from anyone who has fixed a heating problem -

ga2001gt532
12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
well you have to have a leak somewhere if your losing coolant. if the resivoir went empty you might of got air in the lines. first you should figure out why it leaked fluid then you need to bleed the system.

lone_wolf025
12-04-2009, 09:30 PM
What he said. Check your exhaust while you're at it. If you're puffing out exhaust that looks solid white like steam (and not just a little puff at first start up) then you might have a bad headgasket. With these cars though check the lower intake manifold gasket while you're at it.

2000 GT Coupe
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
well you have to have a leak somewhere if your losing coolant. if the resivoir went empty you might of got air in the lines. first you should figure out why it leaked fluid then you need to bleed the system.

any one know the best way to bleed the cooling system, I replaced my upper rad hose, it was shot, and I keep getting troubles like the OP. I know I have air in the system because alittle will come out at a time.

lone_wolf025
12-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Unless you're hooked up to a flushing machine its not easy to get air out of the system. All you can really do is run it and have it work its way out on its own.

2000 GT Coupe
12-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Unless you're hooked up to a flushing machine its not easy to get air out of the system. All you can really do is run it and have it work its way out on its own.

unfortunately thats what I thought. I really hate to pay some one but at the rate its going that may become necessary. ;crap

lone_wolf025
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
unfortunately thats what I thought. I really hate to pay some one but at the rate its going that may become necessary. ;crap

Have you tried idling the car with the cap off the coolant tank and the heat turned on?

ga2001gt532
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
did you ever bleed the system properly.
1.ENGINE OFF.
2.open reservoir cap.
3.open the bleeder valve(be carefully its made of brass)
4.start filling the coolant reservoir untill it starts to come out of the bleeder valve.
5.close the bleeder valve.
6.fill the reservoir to the cold mark.
7.drive car to get it up to operating temp with the heat on.

then you need to do it again but let the car cool down first. the second time you do this you don't need to do number 7. and it should have no air in it now.

Malaclypse
12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
The only bleeder valve in the GA is on the coolant bypass pipe. Doesn't really help with no bleeder on the thermostat housing.

2000 GT Coupe
12-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Have you tried idling the car with the cap off the coolant tank and the heat turned on?
yes
did you ever bleed the system properly.
1.ENGINE OFF.
2.open reservoir cap.
3.open the bleeder valve(be carefully its made of brass)
4.start filling the coolant reservoir untill it starts to come out of the bleeder valve.
5.close the bleeder valve.
6.fill the reservoir to the cold mark.
7.drive car to get it up to operating temp with the heat on.

then you need to do it again but let the car cool down first. the second time you do this you don't need to do number 7. and it should have no air in it now.
and yes.
i did this but still feel air bubbles when squeezing the top rad hose

lone_wolf025
12-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Are you over heating or not getting any heat at all at times? What's the symptom that you suspect the air is a cause of?

2000 GT Coupe
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
ok here is everything I have done and thought of, I replaced the top rad hose, it was very bad cracked in 2 places and it would squeeze in or expand very easy, the word I am looking for to describe this is not coming to me.
After replacing the hose I filled the res, with the bleed open, started the car let the water circulate with the cap off after it got up to operating temp I put the cap on drove around and came home shut it off and in the morning checked the level and filled the res.
my wife drives this car to work, night shift, but does not drive very far, 4 blocks or so. Any way the next few weeks she drives to and from work but the car really does not heat up in that time, the next time I drive it I am not getting any heat and the temp starts climbing.
I dropped gears and let the rpm's climb and it starts blowing hot air, and the coolant temp drops down. I check the fluid level and at that time it showed full, I didn't take the cap off, just looked at the res level. however the top rad hose is hard like there is pressure in it. I let it cool off and it still has pressure, I carefully open the res cap and the air hisses out and the level drops, I refilled the res and started the process over again. this was thursday night, yesterday we go to my in laws about 220 miles away, most of the way there good heat and coolant temps normal, just as we get to there place we lose heat and the temp spikes. let it cool and this morning add 1/4 gallon of coolant.

2000 GT Coupe
12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I think I may have got it taken care of, a bit of time and heating cycles should tell. I needed to partially cover the rad as well the temps have dropped a lot.

louisville
12-07-2009, 08:35 PM
and how did you get it taken care of? im very curious.
ive got the same problem right now

2000 GT Coupe
12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
well it turns out it was not as taken care of as I thought.
the other day, the day I posted about it working, I filled the res in the morning drove 75 miles let it cool refilled the res drove 60 more miles let it cool topped off the fluid and drove another 45 miles, and it was still full of fluid.

Yesterday I took the car down the street, left it running and went into my sisters place. Came out 15 mins later and the heater was blowing cold air and the coolant temp said 240. I reved the engine for a couple of mins and the temp dropped down to 200 but it was still blowing cool air. took it home and on the way the temp spiked to 260.
Shut it off and left it for 6 hours went out and restarted the process. Took 3/4 of a gallon to fill then I drove it for 2 mins warmed it and let it cool and opened the res cap and air hissed out topped it off again with the bleed screw open. That was as far as I got my wife needed to get to work.