abs motor pack question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : abs motor pack question

mjtr21
12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
ok i have a 99 grand am gt and recently the ABS and TRAC OFF lights have been coming on. im noticing they only come on when its raining or snowing out when i need it most lol. i had the codes read and there were about 3 of them relating to the ABS motor pack. so i was looking on ebay for used ones and there were quite a few different ones. my question is would i have to get one taken off another 99 or could i get it from any year grand am? also would it matter if the motor pack came from a vehicle with the Variable Effort steering cause my car has that (even tho i think its worthless)? thanks for any help.

Haughee
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42959

Its a sticky up top. If I recall correctly there are some things about if its wet out and the lights come on. It has to do with the speed sensor and corroson.

mjtr21
12-10-2009, 08:59 PM
uh no i didnt get any error codes for any of the wheel sensors its for the motor pack. and my question was if i needed to get a motor pack from another 99 or if it could from any year 99+. and if it would matter if the vehicle it came from had variable effort steering. my mechanic said hes been through quite a few abs motors this year and he knows a bad one when he sees it.

AaronGTR
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
If you are talking about the ABS control unit (computer) it doesn't have to be from a '99 specifically but it does have to be from a car with the variable effort steering (up to '02 I think?) because the wiring and control for that goes through that unit since it's speed based.

If you mean just the unit with the actual brake lines going to it and the ABS solenoids and valves, I'm pretty sure that can come from any of the years since that has nothing to do with the steering. You might want to cross reference the part number to be sure though. For instance on gmpartsdirect.com they show a solenoid valve and a motor pack, just for the alero/grandam for 99-00. You could get that part number and go to any GM dealership parts counter and ask them to check that part for you and give all applications. That would tell you what car to pull it from. Personally I wouldn't get a used one though. No telling how long it's been sitting and brake fluid absorbs water. It could get rusted. I'd buy a new one for something important like brakes.

Lab Rat
12-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I'd make dam sure my bearing/sensor was working before swapping the ABS module. 99% of the time it's just time for new front bearing(s). Your time and money though.

mjtr21
12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
well like i said twice already its not the wheel bearings/sensors. and yeah i was talking about the unit with the valves and solenoids. thats the part where i was getting about 3 codes from. ok ill check into that with gm thanks.