Anyone have a circulating heater? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a circulating heater?

blario
12-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if any one has one in their 3400, or if it's even possible.
It's really f***ing cold here(-34 celsius without windchill).

thanks

Mike Jung
12-14-2009, 12:31 PM
What is a circulating heater ?

You plugged in your block heater ?
Use 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?

blario
12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
What is a circulating heater ?

You plugged in your block heater ?
Use 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?

They go inline with your heater hose and heats/circulates warm coolant through your heater core and lines.

Mike Jung
12-14-2009, 01:05 PM
They go inline with your heater hose and heats/circulates warm coolant through your heater core and lines.
Ok, thanks.

I was briefly Google'ing it.

& somewhere else said they don't make them for cars (?).
They are more common on 18-wheeler trucks (?).

blario
12-14-2009, 01:35 PM
They are universal fit. There are light duty and heavy duty units, I was thinking of a 750 watt light duty heater.

I used to have one in my 1990 F150 5.0L, they work really well giving you instant heat. They are easy to install, but I don't know if it would work for our cars.

If I spliced into my heater hose would the coolant circulate? As long as my heater valve was open it should, right?

WidbyJ
12-14-2009, 03:35 PM
We used them in Alaska. All I've seen were designed to go in the lower radiator hose so they could draw from the radiator and push warmed water into the block, work great! I would worry about using the heater lines cause they run mostly horizontal, hard to get a good flow going that way. You are right, these work a lot better than a block heater and build useable interior heat almost instantly.

notsoaveragej0e
12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I've got to imagine newer cars and trucks (at least ones that GM makes) have these, because whenever my dad remote starts his car, it either blows really hot air immediately, or really cold in the summer.