99 GAGT powersteering not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT powersteering not working

KillNThrill24
12-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Iv got a 99 GT and the power steering pump went out on it. So i replaced it. Still no powersteering. I took the pump back to NAPA and had them give me another one. I put that one on and same thing, no powersteering. Finally i had a mechanic come to my house and look at it and he told me the rack was bad. I guess its a common gm problem. Well what did i do? I picked up a rack and pinion and replaced it. What a task that was in the bitter cold ohio weather. Finally, still no power steering. I was told to use brakeleen and blow it through the rack, and lines to remove any metal shards that may have come off the old rack. Still nothing. I pulled the pump off and thurougly cleaned that out and well lubed the valve before putting it back in. And still no powersteering. Its like trying to turn the car in park... Im so fed up with this car i wish i could afford to buy a new one. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

NJGrandAm01
12-18-2009, 07:10 PM
dude! i went through the same thing! its not the pump. i took it to a local mechanic and it was just a hose. a $5 hose! get it looked at. it could be the same thing.

KillNThrill24
12-18-2009, 07:13 PM
hmm a hose huh lol wow i would be so happy if thats all it is. do you know what hose it is?

NJGrandAm01
12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
not sure. i didnt do the work. the guy charged me like 40 bucks for it. but my powersteering fluid would be low and it would leak out. so the hose was ruptured. so it may not be it. is it leaking? would also be the steering rack. but that would be more expensive.

KillNThrill24
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
its actually not leaking due to the fact that i replaced the rack and pump already. i do all the work in my driveway, ha. and ive been out of a car since december 5th. only thing i havent replaced are the hoses themselves (which must not be the same as the one you had replaced because mine are about $65 a piece), and the power assist, or whatever its called lol

NJGrandAm01
12-18-2009, 07:24 PM
damn dude. well then im out of ideas. youve pretty much replaced everything. is there power to the pump? i dunno. contact the dealership? hmmmm.

sorry man. very confusing. good luck with that.

NJGrandAm01
12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
i would take a close look at the entire system piece by piece. there should be some sort of a break down. im not sure what else it could be.

KillNThrill24
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM
i hear you, im all out of ideas too. im about to let it sit until i can get enough money to take it in. im not sure what else could be causing the power steering to not work. but thanks for the info, ill have to look into replacing the hoses.

NJGrandAm01
12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
hey try it bro. good luck. let me know what you find.