anyone ever removed the front impact bar? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever removed the front impact bar?

GrandAmC9
12-19-2009, 08:18 PM
hey guys, i searched but cuddnt find anything on this.
im in the middle of a ground up rebuild on my 00' GT and realized my front impact bar is messed up, i can get a new one for $70 but i cant seem to get the old one off. its the piece that the plastic impact absorbers u bolts bolt on to behind the front bumber. its all spot welded in and as far as i know they are all drilled out where it mounts to the frame of the car (except the 3 on either side underneath) but it is several pieces and its still all there and solid. has anyone ever removed this piece before and can give me a few pointers?
thanks for any help in advance. and ill try to get a pic up of what piece im talking about.

GrandAmC9
12-19-2009, 08:21 PM
pic...

XtremeGaGt00
12-20-2009, 12:18 AM
i literally left part of mine on, the corner pieces that bolt to the car, and cut the middle section out so i can mount my HUUUGE front mount inbetween the 2 corner pieces..lol juss hope for no accident

meanse99
12-20-2009, 12:41 AM
yeah i have no idea or have ever heard of anyone removing one

SSRacer
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
looks like its basically part of the subframe...good luck

AaronGTR
12-20-2009, 11:48 AM
It's not part of the subframe, it's part of the uni-body.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine has been fixed or replaced twice from front end accidents. They can get new ones and complete replace them, and of course they have to weld the new one on. The factory spot welds are actually pretty strong and go completely through the metal of course, so they don't come apart that easy. Unless you drill them out with a hole much bigger than the original spot weld, there is probably still some metal bonded around the edge of the holes holding it on there. The easiest way to get it off is with an air chisel. That will break anything still holding or shear right through the sheet metal. If you are careful it won't mangle the part you are removing it from too badly and you can hammer anything flat before putting the new one on. That's how I got mine off. I stripped mine myself when it got totaled before sending it to the collision shop to have the new frame rail put on.

GrandAmC9
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
It's not part of the subframe, it's part of the uni-body.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine has been fixed or replaced twice from front end accidents. They can get new ones and complete replace them, and of course they have to weld the new one on. The factory spot welds are actually pretty strong and go completely through the metal of course, so they don't come apart that easy. Unless you drill them out with a hole much bigger than the original spot weld, there is probably still some metal bonded around the edge of the holes holding it on there. The easiest way to get it off is with an air chisel. That will break anything still holding or shear right through the sheet metal. If you are careful it won't mangle the part you are removing it from too badly and you can hammer anything flat before putting the new one on. That's how I got mine off. I stripped mine myself when it got totaled before sending it to the collision shop to have the new frame rail put on.

hmmm.. air chisel= good idea
and ya i noticed that last night when i was starting to get a couple of the pieces loose, when i looked into the holes where the spot welds where it was almost like half the circle was sepparated from the other pieces and the other half was still one piece.
def. gunna try the air chisel tonight, thanks guys, ill let you know how it goes