99 GAGT wont turn over [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT wont turn over

KillNThrill24
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
i just replaced my power steering pump for the 4th time, ha, and went to start it up and it wouldnt turn over. everything in the car dimmed and pulsed, everything electric is screwed up. and it even popped my trunk. what the f ha im lost. i just pulled my system out and only thing i left was the head unit and the amp power cords. could they have anything to do with this? oh i got about 10.5v which means i should prob jump it but whats with the electrical haywire?

KillNThrill24
12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
update. i just checked under the hood with the key in the "on" position but not after trying to start it, just turning the key into that place. and i hear rapid clicking from the fuse box under the hood. now im pretty good with electrical but this one has me lost... any help would be greatly appreciated!!

IanGT99
12-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I know it may sound dumb, but check to make sure all of your spark plug wires are securely attached to the plugs. I had pretty much the same problem in my old Chevy truck. One of the boots came loose and it wouldn't turn over. Heard the rapid clicking noise, found the loose wire, plugged it in, all was fine.

KillNThrill24
12-23-2009, 11:52 PM
well if you were experiencing that rapid clicking too then hey cant hurt to check them lol thanks alot

2000 GT Coupe
12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
That sounds exactly like what happens when the battery is dead even including the strange trunk popping. put a charger on it.

IanGT99
12-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Now that I go back and read your post again, I think Gene is right. Your battery sounds like it's not quite dead, but dying. Especially if you're in OH, it's been very cold the last week or so. What's happening is the starter is engaging, but the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the car over. Check the age of the battery. If it's fairly old, replace it. If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, I highly recommend the Autocraft Titanium from Advance Auto. It's $83 plus a $12 core charge. 700 CCA, which is more than enough for cold winter weather. Three year free replacement and 8 year prorated replacement. I've had mine for about 3 years now and the car has started wonderfully every time. It also keeps my headlights from dimming when my stereo hits. Optimas are good, but overkill IMO. Die Hard Gold Class is a great battery, too, but a little more expensive.