Car won't start (fuel delivery) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start (fuel delivery)

aiixon
12-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Okay so my car isn't getting gas to start the car. narrowed it down back to the gas tank area. i took off the fuel filter and i checked it, it's not clogged. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key to on, but with the fuel filter off, all that happens is a little bit of gas drips down onto the ground. there is at least a third of a tank in there, maybe 4-5 gallons??

is it possible for the fuel pump to be running but not actually pumping any fuel?

any suggestions on what to try next? It's stuck at the fuel pump basically and I don't know if i should buy a new pump or there is something i can do to it

XtremeGaGt00
12-24-2009, 04:46 PM
pump could be turning on but not sending the pressure/volume the engine needs to start, id start with a fuel pressure test, i think anywhere around 42-48psi is about right?..anyone wanna chime in?

edit, try banging on the gas tank with somthing blunt while someone trys startin it,.works in a jam

aiixon
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
how do I go about doing a fuel pressure test??

and alright thanks for the gas tank thing, ill try that here in a minute. but what exactly is the physics behind that?

XtremeGaGt00
12-24-2009, 11:03 PM
gotta get yourself a pressure gauge..and tap into the fuel rail...the physic behind pounding on the tank will jar the fuel pump motor and knock it out of its dead spot and start it up

aiixon
12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
so do i just try to start the car while putting a pressure gauge on the end of the valve on the fuel rail??

XtremeGaGt00
12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
to obtain a pressure reading...yes

aiixon
12-28-2009, 09:48 PM
problem miraculously fixed. i got under the car and banged on the gas tank for about 15 seconds with my fist and then went to start it, and bam!

how weird is that..

FromTheInside
12-28-2009, 09:53 PM
That is awesome lol. Congratulations... no need to buy a fuel pump...yet =P

GA2000GTSpeed
12-29-2009, 12:08 AM
fuel pump is going out will leave you high and dry gas tank can be removed by taking out 5 bolts 2 13mms 1 10mm 2 8mms no need to move exhaust gas tank is also secured by two way tape don't be scared to tug on it.