Sea Foam [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sea Foam

zukiracer19
12-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Just quick question, is it mandatory to change plugs after seafoaming the GA? I seafoamed mine, car ran great but now its breaking up under boost like i need new plugs or have wrong ones in... 100% sure its my plugs. and it got rid of that stuff in my valve covers, but now my thermostat is sticking open and car runs really cold, That ain't hard to replace though.

AaronGTR
12-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Shouldn't have to change plugs or anything. Did you put the seafoam in the oil and gas too, or just do the intake? It could be you are just still burning up some of the carbon that is coming loose, or burning it up in your gas etc.

Personally, I think seafoam works for some cars and purposes, but it's not a cure all. If a car has a lot of miles and has been neglected and hasn't had regular oil changes with good oil, then it might help to put it in the oil, but then I'd change the oil soon after as well after it has broke up all the crap in it. Leaving it in there too long might be bad for the bearings and you should put fresh oil in there. Same thing with the gas. If you use good gas and change the fuel filter, then you shouldn't need to use a fuel system cleaner more often than every 30,000-50,000 miles. You shouldn't need to seafoam the intake manifold very often either. It's a few and far between procedure IMO.

zukiracer19
12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I did my intake, put it in my oil, and put last bit in my fuel, changed oil with mobile 1 5w30 after like 50-75 miles... along with gas I refilled since than. And Oil is changed every 2,500-3,000 miles since i've gotten it @ 70k

2000 GT Coupe
12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Just quick question, is it mandatory to change plugs after seafoaming the GA? I seafoamed mine, car ran great but now its breaking up under boost like i need new plugs or have wrong ones in... 100% sure its my plugs. and it got rid of that stuff in my valve covers, but now my thermostat is sticking open and car runs really cold, That ain't hard to replace though.

Could be 2 separate problems. The seafoam got rid of any carbon and its done no longer a factor but your sticking thermostat is causing the engine to not run at the operating temp it wants to and your computer is pulling something because of it.
And I agree with Aaron about the seafoam usage.

zukiracer19
12-27-2009, 04:57 PM
& it was first time I ever used seafoam

westerndragon
12-28-2009, 07:19 AM
if you knocked all that junk loose it may have gummed your thermo a bit. i had to replace mine after i bought my ga @ 84k i had a really good coolant flush and my thermo was sticky afterwards when i took it out it was way nasty.

AaronGTR
12-28-2009, 11:41 AM
^Seafoam goes in the intake, oil, and/or fuel tank. There is no way it could affect the thermostat since it can't get in the coolant system. ;)

westerndragon
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
ahh ok never used the stuff before myself

zukiracer19
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM
thermostat is like brande new thats why i dont get why it would be faulty already...