Throttle cable is loose! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable is loose!

2000GAGT
12-28-2009, 05:47 PM
i did search for this...

i was driving down the road, went to pass someone and apparently after hitting the gas pedal my car kept trying to accelerate itself. Going about 60 mph without touching the pedal it kept accelerating faster. i tried to stop the car but breaking wouldn't slow it down so i put it into neutral and the engine rev'd to about 5,000 when i shut if off. Opened up the hood and the throttle cable came out from under the black bracket the cable connects into. caused it to keep the throttle to stay half way open .
I could pull on the cable and get it to rest back inside the black part and get the throttle to close again, as soon as i pushed the throttle open all the way again it would get caught and keep it open half way. hard to explain but basically its doing it because the throttle cable is really loose. any ideas?

AaronGTR
12-29-2009, 06:41 AM
You talking about the black plastic liner around the metal cable? Did it come loose from the part that is supposed to hold it in the metal bracket on the throttle body? I've seen that happen to control cables before, but usually on cheaper equipment. Kind of rare for it to happen on a car, but not impossible. If that's what it is, the throttle cable is going to have to be replaced.

jurgs2007
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
i had the same problem a couple years ago. get a new throttle cable. it is frayed inside its sleeve and is catching. after a while it will most likely end up snapping.

2000GAGT
01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
If it helps to explain where it's getting caught, the black plastic peice I'm talking about is part of the throttle body. It the half moon looking thing the cable follows and connect to the throttle body. Wide open throttle is causing the cable to come back far enough that when the throttle closes the cable has enough slack to not follow on the inner side and it falls to the outerside and pulls against the black plastic piece whih keeps the plate open about half way. If any of that makes sense...

2000GAGT
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
just an update i figured this one out,
the metal bracket some how got bent and it was just enough to allow the cable to slip out of the plastic guide it attaches to on the throttle. apparently too much WOT?? :)