Cruise Control... Car keeps reving? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control... Car keeps reving?

zukiracer19
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
ok last night i was on my way home on highway, cruise control set at 65, noticed all a sudden out of no where, keeps accelerating.. put it in nuetral bounces of rev limiter... shut it off, start it back up revs again... open hood, start car and the throttle is down... not even engaging.. why or how would it rev up? got car to walmart and shut it off it wouldnt stop moving so i would get up to speed and let car shut off and coast so i wasn't speeding. Any clues or ideas? im completely lost, the TPS is brande new also..

zukiracer19
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
If the vacuum hose to the brake booster came off the intake manifold, is cracked or broken or if the brake booster has a bad diaphragm it could certainly cause this condition. not only would it cause your engine to rev up uncontrolably, it would cause your breaks to function poorly and require a huge amount of effort to stop the vehicle. look for a hose about 1/2 to 3/4 of and inch in diameter going from the intake manifold to a canister on the driver side of the engine compartment at the fire wall. Check to make sure it's connected at both ends and has to leaks or cracks.

This could also be caused by the throttle plate sticking open. Either due to a hung or stuck throttle cable, or mechanical damage. If the vehiche has cruise control there is another cable involved in actuating the throttle that could be causing the problem. The cruise control stepper motor could also be stuck in one position.

There is also an item called an idle air control motor or solenoid (also known as an IAC), located near the throttle body which can often stick in position if it becomes dirty internally...sometimes they have even been known to come apart due to wear. If it only does the reving when its not in gear this is a likely scenario as depending on the position it may be stuck at you might not notice it in normal driving.

^ sounds like any of those are good possibilities

WidbyJ
12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Troubleshooting own problem - cool

zukiracer19
12-30-2009, 11:49 PM
crap.. wanted to quote that.. but i was wondering if that seems like reasonable answers

alerored04
12-31-2009, 07:50 AM
Sounds like a great place to start to me.

jurgs2007
12-31-2009, 09:16 AM
i had this problem on my 99 gt. shortly after that happened to me, the throttle cable snapped. turns out the throttle cable had frayed and was getting caught in its sleeve, so i would check that out, see if it seems like it might be catching when you hit the gas pedal. or check your cruise control cable, that might be holding the throttle open also.

westerndragon
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
i have a periodic high idle as well but mine is probably due to a leaky LIM sucking air. on a side note...zuki is it just me or does your ga mess with you more then most lol every time i log in i can count on a new "somthing's eff'd with zuki's ride" thread lol

zukiracer19
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
yeah, its stupid ****. Like I can't even figure out why it keeps bouncing off rev limiter... I see my throttle cable got RIPPED. but its the sleeve, it has nothing to do with the wire?? and how can i tell if cruise control is stuck? it was kinda random, like 3/4 home and it just starts accelerating while in cruise control.

westerndragon
01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
dont use the CC and check your buttons on the steering wheel my set/coast button was sticking and i couldn't use my CC untill i cleaned it out musta spilled coffee on it or something.

WidbyJ
01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
... I see my throttle cable got RIPPED. but its the sleeve, it has nothing to do with the wire??

Uh, if the outer part is damaged it won't work properly. The outer shell is built to be a fixed length which determines how much cable action is passed through (like an old school manual choke cable). You might be able to 'splint' it together for a while but will need to replace it in order to work safely, just sayin...

westerndragon
01-04-2010, 07:41 AM
yeah those kinda parts should probably be replaced the whole fuel management thing and all makes driving a bit less scary

zukiracer19
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
My cable isnt retracting.

I pull butterly and it just bends and doesnt go back into the sleeve.

When I pull the cable completely out it still revs up.

zukiracer19
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Could i take the butterfly and cables out and work the throttle from the TB itself without the wires? and see if it still revs?