HOW TO TOP off a normal BATTERY with WHAT type of water [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO TOP off a normal BATTERY with WHAT type of water

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 05:37 AM
I did alot of search , alot about batteries but nothing about what I want to do with / to one. NO ONE DOES IT ANYMORE ????

What do you use to top off a battery as it is called . Any particular type of water distilled , spring etc etc. I popped of the caps on both sides and found just a skim of liguid in all 6 holes.

Just how much do you fill each hole with the right type of water ??? that skim in each whole may have just moved up and in where I see it from the cells, because i moved the battery around alot while cleaning NOT SURE.

I see the inner side walls of each hole only go down so far , then those walls open up to I think allow flow of liguid ???. I would guess that is the point to where I fill the water level too.???? just to the bottom of where the inner hole walls end.

Trying to say if you ran you finger down the inner wall of the wholes adventually thge wall ends and you finger could then curve under the inner walls.

Energizer 625 cold cranking amps ,part # 72-51RN, 6/3/2,> those 3 numbers deal with warranty, it has top male post only , normal height and lenght ,battery but narrow.
It is a car battery not a ATV or bike etc type battery. Out of car it reads 12.08 . my chart says that is at the beginning of 1/2 charged battery.1/2 charge goes from 12.00 to 12.20.

Like to charge it up, see if it holds a higher charge , but want to make sure it has all it's fluilds

Mike Jung
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Distilled water

Fill to almost the top.

lone_wolf025
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Distilled water

Fill to almost the top.

What he said.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I got this from the other site, I think I understand what he says ,the fill amount he talks about ( my understanding is to cover the top of plates filling it haft way to the vent top of the vent holes. Don't fill where it covers past the vent holes inside these tube holes found under the caps ) I was thinking just fill each tube to with in about 1/4 or 1/2 each of very top of tube ????

The vent holes appear to start and end only about 1/2 inch from top of plates ??

I got this from the other site, >>> You use distilled water to top off battery acid because the water blended into the original acid evaporates/boils off over time. When you look down into the holes you will see the tops of the lead plates inside the battery, the general idea is to ensure that these plates stay completely covered with the acid mixture.
I'd suggest filling it so that the fluid is midway between the top of the plates and the bottom of the fill holes. You do NOT want to fill it all the way to the bottom of the fill holes, there has to be some room for the sulfuric acid fumes to make their way to the battery's vent hole. Then charge it on a trickle charger overnight (5 amp or so charge rate)

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 01:06 PM
BARE with me I am slow understand .

Okay I used a flashlight to look ddown all 6 tubes. the top of the plates are cover by about 1/4 of fluid, except one middle one on postive side, it is just wet., from the top of the plates to where the vent opening end is only 1/2 inch, then it goes solid plastic inner wall tube right to top of battery.

Mind you joined to these opening vents above the plates is a further open a 1/4 wide slot , going nearly to the top of the inner wall tubes, stops about 1/4 from top of tube or 1/4 below the caps when you put them back on.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
lets try this sketch ...My sketch: Dotted line at bottom is top of plates outer versticle lines are inner tube walls. inner lines are is the open verticle 1/4 slot like open leading from the all around 1/2 open vents just above the plates. that opening 1/4 slot open ( seen as ( O ) in my sketch ) ends about 1/4 from top of battery or end of tubes under the caps.

__________<<<< top of tube or battery
I 1/4 INCH I
I from -top I
I_________I <<<< open vent slot ends
>> lll O lll

>> lll O lll

>> lll O lll

>> lll O lll <<<< open vent slot begins

complete opening
vent here
................................ <<<< battery plate tops

WidbyJ
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
You'll be fine by filling just to the point you label "open vent slot begins".

The "open vent slot" is how the fumes get around. A little higher is ok, just don't get past the top of the slot. If necessary you can use a twisted-up paper towel to suck the excess out (dispose of immediately). Rap on the side of the battery a few times to break loose any air bubbles. Trickle charge for a couple of hours, drive it a bit and then recheck the levels. You'll be fine.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
THANKS A BUNCH glad no one freaked out on me because of my ramblings....I can do everything there but I won't be able to install it in a car. Also it is presently a back up battery.

Once I sell my jeep some day some year , I hope to put that in the jeep and take out the better Cdn-tire eliminator > 1050 amp battery and this will become the backup battery. PLUS this one has a rather un-usual warranty , LIFE REPLACEMENT...

They offered it pretty much when these batteries first came out . WHAT A MISTAKE. used the warranty a few times now 2, 3 or 4 times....I used to keep battery in jeep in each year of cold storage with just neg cable detached and never drove jeep much at all either.

Last few years it comes in house and trickle charge when and if needed, 2 to 10 amps.

westerndragon
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
i dont play with that stuff i just get a new batt and recycle the old lol besides when you add water to a low batt your futher diluting the sulfuric acid and reducing the battery life and conductivity over time youll probably find that battery needs a jump in cold weather.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I have another older battery which only reads .5 charge or so. If it has caps I wounder if it would be better, and if
I can get some of it's fluids out and add that to my good battery versus adding distilled water

westerndragon
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
that would probably be better but not recomended unless they are the same brand and type because diffrent companies mix their acid diffrently

WidbyJ
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Actually - If you REALLY want/need to: Testing tools are readily available to check the battery acid condition. All 'old style' batteries work the same and you COULD get into fiddling with dangerous acids and all that if you desire...

Topping off a battery once or twice is no big deal. More than that just replace the battery. Even a cheap *mart battery should be fine for a couple of years.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Okay gents. I topped off the smaller battery Energizer . and put in on for about 1 hour ,maybe more at 2 amp trickle charge . Then it has be off for about 24 hours . It was 12.50 now seems to be staying at 12.46...my chart says 3/4 charge range is 12.30 to 12.50.....

Next I decided to check levels on the bigger more power full Eliminator 850 cold cranking amps...they APPEARED to be low in fluilds but not as bad. So topped then up . I left the same amount of verticle slotted vent gap for vapours to channel out . I again like last battery put it on 2 amp trickle charge.

First time about 1 hour then removed for a few hours. The charge I believe was 12.30 ??? but it I found liguid had flowed a bit from under cap at a vent exscape . So cleaned up . And serveral hours latter tried same 2 amp charge again to see if I could get it closer to smaller batteries charge.

It did improve but not enough , so repeat process one last time leaving serveral hours between doing this . 3rd time again sepage also. But charge after I cleaned it was much better 12.43..I will see how close to that it will stay in a few hours???

Question this sepage is it because I topped it up too much ??? And will it do this if in my vechicle . Do I need to remove more / some fluid ? PS: bigger battery about 4 years old ,maintained pretty good rarely used though. Smaller batter I found not sure how old but not well looked after. They never punched out the date.

But has a round sticker on it haft black and haft white in blk says >> F-4, in white 6-4......On my bigger battery the similiar haft red / haft white but indicates , white >> ship code C-5, red >> rechargeable 9-05.

OKAY about 3 hours since the the big battery was last charged and since this posting , the results are : big battery Eliminator 12.37....Small battery Energizer 12.46..... both still in the 3/4 charge range..... Can't figure why the better made / more powerfull / maybe newer battery / better taken care of , okay maybe less used , battery does not have the best holding charge ??

Now where these batteries are inside and not going to be used much or at least one of them for quite some time. How often should I put them on Trickle charge at 2 amps ??

[ChaosweaveR]
01-05-2010, 08:54 AM
For all this trouble...why not just get a new battery?

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-05-2010, 09:01 AM
it hasn't been much trouble. this does not cost me. and i don't need a new battery. just maintian these as backups or exchange batteries when I need them.

WidbyJ
01-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I'd be using a stronger charger if possible, 2 amp is not much force goin in, or just wait a lot longer. Also the little charger may not put out a high enough voltage to fully charge those batteries, notice that a car will put out 14 volts when charging the battery. My fancy charger will go on up to 14.5 volts at 10 amps before it ramps down to a trickle. My 2 cents but use what you've got available....

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
looks like big battery settled at 12.32 and small battery at 12.40. no more sepage from bigger battery, after i last charged it at 10 amp tricle charge. so both still in 3/4 charge range. how long they stay it these charges, while not being used inside the house ???? how often to put back on charge from this point on ???

Mike Jung
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
IMO, I would trickle charge it once a month overnight.

Just so the battery does not sulfate the plates.

At room temperature: A fully charged car battery is around 12.6V.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
how do I do a load test ? can I do it , what is needed ? My Cdn-Tire Motormaster #11-1562 , Automatic engine starter / Battery charger >> 10/2/60 A- 6/12 V......also says smaller print OUTPUT: 10/2 A at 12 VDC, and other info for 6 voltand engine start.

So for not being used and inside house 3/4 charge is a good charge to have them be at , til some day they get used ??

Mike Jung
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
You need a special tool to load test a car battery.

& only load test your car batteries after fully charging them.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
How best to maintian a battery that remains in a car , sorted of heated storage , not cold storage anyways. Presently and few many years just disconnect negative cable and aleast once a month go in turn car over for 20 to 30 minutes. it a gell celled battery Elminator from Cdn-Tire same as optima.

Mike Jung
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Get a battery maintainer tender.
& leave it hooked up to the car battery, plugged in.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
That requires a house like plug outlet yes ?? I am in a multi underground parking area. Can't leave something plug into there outlets....

I have heard of over the years those small solar panels you plug into cigeratte lighter , but that needs natual light.... any things esle that would work. and do you then have to connect both your pos and neg cables back up to battery while in car. or still keep negative detached ?/

Panacea
01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Take the battery out of the car, store it in your house plugged in on a trickle charger. If you can't do that, see if a relative will let you do that, otherwise your, SOL.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 12:38 PM
No other way / nothing esle invented ,to maintain a battery that stays in a vehicle that is in heated storage for 6 months ,and were I am not able to use a charger in a plug outlet for long or steady periods of time .

I could plug the charger in to the plug outlet in the underground parking for that 20 to 30 mintutes . But any more I risk getting in trouble if caught . And solar panels are out because under ground storage. Other then me turning over car once a month for 20 to 30 minutes.

westerndragon
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
so much over a battery omg take a pill and settle down lol its ok a dead battery isnt the end of the world

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
01-07-2010, 04:19 PM
but i don't have nor ever had a dead battery.just have extra's i want to properly maintian.