NO HEAT!! No coolant pressure too! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NO HEAT!! No coolant pressure too!

HighlyBoosted66
01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Ouch this one hit really bad timing. January in Wisconsin... heres the issue.
car has replaced 180 degree thermostat, new water pump, and new radiator hoses.
I need some help on this one.
ok when driving i have absolutly no heat throughout any of this...
now when im driving the normal temp for me is 180(because of the thermostat) but the car runs between 180 and 240. it goes up and down from 180 to 240 sometimes it will stay at 180 for a while then go up and same for the 240.
I also have no pressure in the cooling system(i can squeeze the hoses shut)
Now i added coolant with the engine running and everything, but i cant figure it out. it is holding coolant, just no pressure or heat(which is annoying seeing it is below 10 degrees out) so does anyone have any thoughts? thanks!

350rs
01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
how much coolant did you add? sounds like you have a air pocket in the water pump to me. and a big one at that.

HighlyBoosted66
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
i added until it stopped draining down. how can i solve the issue? does anyone know why i dont have any pressure in the lines?

ITSmyGT
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
The cooling system takes 13.6 qts of fluid which equals a little over 3 gallons. My car was raising high temps and the heat was out until I discovered that I was low on coolant and the problem was fixed......well now I just need to find out were the fluid went:P

silverse
01-03-2010, 05:52 PM
i had a similar issue, i ended up changing the reservior cap and going through the bleeding process. Try bleeding first.

HighlyBoosted66
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
bleeding process? excuse my ignorance but, i though it was a so called "sealed" system. how would you bleed the system?

350rs
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
on the left of the engine right behind the water pump youll see a bleeder valve.. if its a V6. idk how the 4 banger is. But its brass. Small hex on top. You gotta loosin that up and let it go untill all the air is out. I didnt do it and ended up fine. I guess i just got lucky though

HighlyBoosted66
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
any other thoughts on to what it could be other then an air bubble?

XtremeGaGt00
01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
id havta say also to go with try bleeding the system, turn the heat on full blast and leave the bleeder screw open til a straight,strong stream comes out..and obviously make sure the coolant system is completly full..speaking from experience

aiixon
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
this is only slightly related, but my heat seems to only be hot when its coming from the top vents, not the defrost or foot vents. its like 30 below right now, maybe that has something to do with it, but opinions??

HighlyBoosted66
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
how hot is ur heat coming from the top vents?

350rs
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
your door in the vents has stopped moving for some reason. Could be the motor is out, vac leak ( if these things are vac actuated), or the linkage could be broken or bound.

back to topic though, other than a air bubble, thats all i can think unless you have one helluva clog.

IanGT99
01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I had the 180 degree thermostat for about 4 years. I got REALLY tired of freezing my @$$ off in the winter, so I replaced it with a stocker. The car runs smoother and I see minimally better gas mileage. A 180 stat in Wisconsin is crazy talk. If you drive it every day, it'll never actually get hot. More like luke warm. You won't see many hp or any other benefits from the 180 stat anyways IMO. I'd go back to stock if I were you. As far as your problem, if you have no pressure in the system, make sure your "new" water pump isn't defective...

alerored04
01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Or that you routed the belt properly and are not spinning the pump backwards.

HighlyBoosted66
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
check and check. the pump was put on like 3 months ago way before this issue

2000 GT Coupe
01-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I had the 180 degree thermostat for about 4 years. I got REALLY tired of freezing my @$$ off in the winter, so I replaced it with a stocker. The car runs smoother and I see minimally better gas mileage. A 180 stat in Wisconsin is crazy talk. If you drive it every day, it'll never actually get hot. More like luke warm. You won't see many hp or any other benefits from the 180 stat anyways IMO. I'd go back to stock if I were you. As far as your problem, if you have no pressure in the system, make sure your "new" water pump isn't defective...

Put cardboard infront of the rad. If your in extreme cold climate, like I am block 100% of the rad, the extreme cold will keep the coolant cool enough, If you in a area where your average winter temps are 20F+ then only block about 50% of the rad. Your car will get warm enough even with a 180 Tstat

aiixon
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
how hot is ur heat coming from the top vents?

not as hot as i think it should be..

also my 5th blower setting doesn't work. it has worked once in the last week and my car was running 3 hours straight before it worked.

HighlyBoosted66
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
i have plenty of heat now. and if your heat is luke warm... there must be other issues. my 180 thermo throws plenty of heat out for me and btw, the bleeding worked! thanks!