Bad icing problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad icing problem

pauljs75
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
This seems to be a problem with my '01. The garage is for the parent's cars, so mine sits outside. But anytime there's snow melt, the doors ice shut. And de-icer takes a while to do anything... So it usually takes a few pitchers of warm water to get in.

Any suggestions for preventing ice formation in the first place, when it's not always possible to get the snow off before a melt and re-freeze? (Should it really be necessary to "babysit" my car, just because it's cold out?)

Also this icing on the body caused another problem, a really annoying one. Melt runoff went down the leading door edge... And can you guess where the water collected before it re-froze?

So now I have a body panel that needs repair/replacing on the driver's door, because not only does it look bad where it separated - but it also intereferes with door opening. ;crap

Any idea how much that body-work job runs?

Mike Jung
01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Rub Silicon lube on the rubber seals for the doors ?

H.O. Driver
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
don't dump any more water on them, the moisture takes a long time to keep getting out of the rubber door seals. So next time its a warmer day and sunny out, take a hair dryer out there and blow the seals out so they dry completely. chech your door pins, they may not be alligned well anymore and not sealing well.

I never had problems with the doors freezing shut on my GA. We got lots of snow and cold up my way :)

350rs
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
old trick. use either armour all or wd-40 on them. when they are dry of course. you run the risk of drying them out though.

Malaclypse
01-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Di-electric grease works well for lubing weatherstrips.

eBandit
01-06-2010, 11:55 PM
no matter how much ice, sleet, freezing rain or snow we get- mine have yet to freeze shut "knock on wood". they seem to seal well though (after some work since I bought the car wrecked with the drivers door smashed up and the body pushed in a little where the door mounts- was a pain to get it right!)

I have put armor-all on them before to keep from drying out but not often. I would guess there is weather stripping lube cause I know the parts dept. at the dealer suggested some GM weather stripping "lube/compound/etc..." for my mothers GMC Safari once.

you surely need to see why water is getting in the seals so bad and fix it though. check the condition of the weather stripping, how the door shuts etc...

Panacea
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Rub Silicon lube on the rubber seals for the doors ?

*ding*

Did that to prevent my wifes old Alero's doors from freezing shut.

westerndragon
01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
my doors do it once in a while if you use ky warming gel it will never happen again RFLMFAO

MIgrandamguy
01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
my 04 has this problem also. To the point where I've had to crawl through the trunk and shoulder-check the door open from the inside on more than one occasion :-\
Will try the silicone lube and see how that works...

Is your car a 2-door?