Voltage dips, what are yours? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Voltage dips, what are yours?

Tank33
01-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Is this normal for these friggen cars?

When I am sitting at a light, in drive, foot on the brake, in the daytime, so no lights on, heater fan on setting #2, my voltage stays steady at 15 for about, 5 seconds, then I will lose a volt and it will kick right back up, and so on and so forth. It randomly loses a volt for no reason then kicks back up.

At night time, I can be sitting at a light and with all the lights on, the dips are much more frequent, every few seconds. With the signal light on is really bad, the voltage gauge moves with the signal movement at that point.

Battery is brand new a short while ago, alternator has never been replaced yet since I have owned it, but it has done this since I bought it over 2 years ago, just curious as to why?

Is this just because our stock alternators are so weak, and I need to find myself a HO, or is this because there is something I should be looking for?

onesexyga
01-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know about the variation, but there's nothing wrong with running 14-15 volts. I guess I'd question the accuracy of the gauge too. I assume its aftermarket. Is it digital or analog, was it calibrated?

Tank33
01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes it's an aftermarket gauge.

Auto meter carbon fiber series.

AaronGTR
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
You are probably fine. It might just be a delay in the voltage regulator reacting to demand. As long as you aren't dipping down to 12 volts or under I wouldn't worry about it.

Tank33
01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks.

Really got pick up one of those Iraggi alternators.

Anyone been able to get in touch with him lately?

stonemason90
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
You are probably fine. It might just be a delay in the voltage regulator reacting to demand. As long as you aren't dipping down to 12 volts or under I wouldn't worry about it.

at idle mine is 12 volts lol... i already know the alternators shot though just cant afford one atm so as long as it stays running its fine.... even if everything dims as long as it stays running youll be fine for the time being. unless you got a system like i do then you better give it gas when your at a light cuz it will die.... ive had it happen to me a couple times

onesexyga
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I run between 15 and 14 normally, but running the system cranked for a bit dips it down into the 12 range and the headlights start dimming.