Car died on way to work [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car died on way to work

polo77
01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, on my way to work the other day my car just suddenly shut off going down a hill. I pulled it over to the side of the road, and tried to start it. It wouldnt fire, after a few minutes it finally started up. Once it started, it reved up then would die down, and stall, also had a loud knocking sound. Tried to start it, it fired, so I kept giving it some gas so it wouldnt stall. I was probably a mile from my house so I decided I would just drive it home, stupid mistake I know. :asshat

Got it almost home, and I hear this loud bang, and car died. Wouldnt refire nothing. I wa sjust wondering if anyone had any ideas of what it could possibly be? Ran great up untill that time, with the exception it was turning into a gas hogg. But again it just died then once it fired, it would idle real high then go real low and almost want to stall out, had one heck of a knock to it.

Just want to see if it would be worth fixing or goign to get a junk yard motor and throw it in it.

AaronGTR
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Impossible to tell without more specific information. Sounds like some kind of major failure though. Could be a clogged cat, a bad sensor, or even mechanical breakage like a cracked camshaft or spun rod bearing.... just no way to know. First place to start is check the computer for codes.

KmGADfw
01-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Seems to me this is heating related engine failure - it is either you lost most (if not all) of your engine oil, which caused the engine to over heat (The temp. might read OK, since there is not much heat get transferred to the coolant). And the engine shutdown due to the expansion on downhill - when you are not giving gas. After a few minutes, it cools down a bit, so you can start it up while giving gas. As you drive, the heat finally destroyed the engine.

I would assume that the engine was constantly knocking after you started up and drove home, but you chose to ignore it and kept on driving. So, now, you would need to replace the engine instead. If you had checked the engine oil level and dumped a few qts of oil then drive it home, you will be in a much better shape.

Again, this is just my speculation based on the information provided. I could be well off base, as there is very limited information provided. But, I am just offering my opinion as it is. So, if it is not the case, don't be mad at me :)