abs light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : abs light

dcuballa
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
While I was replacing my struts I knocked the rear abs sensor connection out, I didnt see it until I drove the car and the light came on. Is there anyway I can reset it without a scanner cause everyone nobody is willing to take care of the light for me.

2000 GT Coupe
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I believe once you fix the problem causing the light it will go out on its own.

350rs
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
may or may not go out on its own. Sometimes it will go out quickly, other times it takes a few on off cycles. other times it wont go untill cleared.

dcuballa
01-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah its been 4 days now, I was told by a few people that its not like the SES light and it has no cycle, it has to be cleared....but they couldnt tell me if there was a home to clear it without the scanner

gagt Mechanic
01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
disconnect the battery for about ten min. that will clear all codes. the light will come back on if there is still an issue.

dcuballa
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Didnt clear it, it cleared the Ses light for my po420 code which came back in 20 mins....but didnt clear the SVS

stillriza
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I believe for SES lights, the car needs 2 or 3 cold starts where it does the POST and no errors are detected..then it will clear the code. I would imagine SVS would work the same.

Otherwise you can pick yourself up a scanner... or head over to autozone and have them hook up a scanner and ask them to del. it.

On another note...was po420 something related to emmissions system. I vaguely remember that had to do with the gas cap not being fully tightened...but cant rmbr if it was 420 or 402.

2000 GT Coupe
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Didnt clear it, it cleared the Ses light for my po420 code which came back in 20 mins....but didnt clear the SVS

I believe for SES lights, the car needs 2 or 3 cold starts where it does the POST and no errors are detected..then it will clear the code. I would imagine SVS would work the same.

Otherwise you can pick yourself up a scanner... or head over to autozone and have them hook up a scanner and ask them to del. it.

On another note...was po420 something related to emmissions system. I vaguely remember that had to do with the gas cap not being fully tightened...but cant rmbr if it was 420 or 402.

If it didnt clear it then there is still something wrong in the abs system. easiest would be to put a scanner on and find the problem, but failing that after looking over your first post I have to ask did you replace the rear wheel bearing assembly? As once the wire is pulled out there is no fixing it only replace.
A scanner from autozone wont read abs codes, you may need to find a small shop or dealer to read it.
And the code P0420 is catylist inefficiency I believe. basically your cat is wore out.

dcuballa
01-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I didn not replace the bearing as like I said only the connector came out and the light NEVER went off from the dash after disconnecting the battery so the codes were never cleared. AS for the p0420 its because of my high flo cat that the code keeps popping up.

2000 GT Coupe
01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I didn not replace the bearing as like I said only the connector came out and the light NEVER went off from the dash after disconnecting the battery so the codes were never cleared. AS for the p0420 its because of my high flo cat that the code keeps popping up.

If the abs light never goes off it is because the problem never goes away. That light will shut off by itself when the problem is fixed. You do not have to clear it.
Ya the high flow cat will give that code. you can have mark from mpracing program your computer to eliminate it. That is what I did.
If you did not pull the wire out of the bearing assembly you may not have the connector connected quite right.

dcuballa
01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Ill take a look at it again in the morning....and I tried to "Ghetto" way to fix the light with a non-fouler to fix the 420 but it didnt help so now its time to talk to mark about the fix...thanks for all the insight