Cruise and brake issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cruise and brake issue

99GT
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
My cruise stopped working randomly, the buttons are fine and the fuse is good.

is there anything else i should check? any connections under the hood? anything at all?

apart from that, my abs light keeps coming on. but here is the catch, it ONLY COMES ON WHEN IT IS HOT OUT. when its cold outside, it is fine, but in any heat over 40 degrees, the light comes on.

has anyone had this problem? if so, how do i find out what it is?

gagt Mechanic
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
make sure that the cable is still connected to your throttle body, its the the one that clips to the side. the cruise motor is over by you coolant res, make sure it is plugged in.
as far as the abs light goes you would need to see what the code is first, even if the light is not on it will still store the code in memory, prob need a hub, most common abs issue on our cars

2000 GT Coupe
01-12-2010, 07:11 AM
My cruise stopped working randomly, the buttons are fine and the fuse is good.

is there anything else i should check? any connections under the hood? anything at all?

apart from that, my abs light keeps coming on. but here is the catch, it ONLY COMES ON WHEN IT IS HOT OUT. when its cold outside, it is fine, but in any heat over 40 degrees, the light comes on.

has anyone had this problem? if so, how do i find out what it is?

I think your cruise is caused by the abs problem, have you put led tails in?
the abs and the cruise expect some resistance from the bulbs and if they do not get it trips the error. I am guessing that is so you replace your burned out bulbs, because if it ever happened it would mean all stop lights are out.

Lab Rat
01-12-2010, 08:43 AM
When ABS is triggered it will shut down the cruise. Imagine your slipping on ice. The cruise still pulling could cause problems so for safety it turns off. Pretty sure when you fix the bearings the cruise will be back to normal.

99GT
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I think your cruise is caused by the abs problem, have you put led tails in?
the abs and the cruise expect some resistance from the bulbs and if they do not get it trips the error. I am guessing that is so you replace your burned out bulbs, because if it ever happened it would mean all stop lights are out.

I did put in LED tails, come to think of it, shortly after is when both problems occured. A few bulbs in the back went out so I just replaced them with some tails from ebay.

Please explain this in more detail.

And any recommendations on hub replacements?

2000 GT Coupe
01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I did put in LED tails, come to think of it, shortly after is when both problems occured. A few bulbs in the back went out so I just replaced them with some tails from ebay.

Please explain this in more detail.

And any recommendations on hub replacements?

The system sees resistance from the normal bulbs unless the bulb burns out, then there is a physical break in the circuit and it trips up the computer, LED's do not have that resistance, the computer thinks there is a physical break and sets the light.
What I did to fix this was solder a resister in the third brake light so the system has a complete circuit, or so the computer thinks. I used a 2.2k resister from radio shack.

99GT
01-14-2010, 12:27 PM
The system sees resistance from the normal bulbs unless the bulb burns out, then there is a physical break in the circuit and it trips up the computer, LED's do not have that resistance, the computer thinks there is a physical break and sets the light.
What I did to fix this was solder a resister in the third brake light so the system has a complete circuit, or so the computer thinks. I used a 2.2k resister from radio shack.

does it make a difference since i also have an led 3rd brake light?

and could you show me some pics because that is something ive never dealt with before?

2000 GT Coupe
01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
does it make a difference since i also have an led 3rd brake light?

and could you show me some pics because that is something ive never dealt with before?

It is exactly because of the LED third brake light. The way the system works all the brake lights are on one circuit, you replace just the normal lights and the 3rd light still has the resistance and all is well. but if you replace the 3rd as well it see's a break in the line.
I could take a pic of my set up for you.

99GT
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
It is exactly because of the LED third brake light. The way the system works all the brake lights are on one circuit, you replace just the normal lights and the 3rd light still has the resistance and all is well. but if you replace the 3rd as well it see's a break in the line.
I could take a pic of my set up for you.

oh please do because i would love to see that abs light go off. lol

i just got the check engine and low wiper fluid off. lol

can you also tell me the value of the resistor or color code? and what wire to put it on

2000 GT Coupe
01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
oh please do because i would love to see that abs light go off. lol

i just got the check engine and low wiper fluid off. lol

can you also tell me the value of the resistor or color code? and what wire to put it on

The value of the resister I used was 2.2k. Which is what one bulbs resistance was. The wire to put it on, or actually across is the power and negative of the 3rd brake light. I will get pic's tomorrow.

99GT
01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
The value of the resister I used was 2.2k. Which is what one bulbs resistance was. The wire to put it on, or actually across is the power and negative of the 3rd brake light. I will get pic's tomorrow.

alright. mucho thanks.

2000 GT Coupe
01-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I did not get pic's yet, the days are way too short, it got dark before I got time. tomorrow should work.

99GT
01-17-2010, 07:30 AM
I did not get pic's yet, the days are way too short, it got dark before I got time. tomorrow should work.

its cool. just when you have time.

2000 GT Coupe
01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok got a few pics, they are not the best but should be sufficient

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/Brake%20Resister.JPG

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/Brake%20Resister%20%281%29.JPG
http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/Brake%20Resister%20%283%29.JPG

Now as you should be able to see the 2.2k resister goes one end to the black and one end to the red.

99GT
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
damn. is that going to dim my brake light?

2000 GT Coupe
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
No
It does not dim the light.

the resistor allows a micro amount of current to flow through as does a normal filament bulb
when you hit the brakes your power goes past the resistor into the led as normal.

99GT
01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
No
It does not dim the light.

the resistor allows a micro amount of current to flow through as does a normal filament bulb
when you hit the brakes your power goes past the resistor into the led as normal.

sweet. thanks. youve been a huge help. about to start it now

2000 GT Coupe
01-17-2010, 08:24 PM
sweet. thanks. youve been a huge help. about to start it now

No problem, how did it go.

99GT
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I know i asked the value but do you know the wattage?

I got busy and am just now starting.

2000 GT Coupe
01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I know i asked the value but do you know the wattage?

I got busy and am just now starting.

1/2 watt was enough.