Engine fans both coming on even on a cold start up.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine fans both coming on even on a cold start up..

kevcal93
01-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I have a 2001 GT and since it has been very cold here, the heat will not work. I found that the hoses going in and out of the heater core are the same temp, so I eliminated that. The car will warm up quicker if I pull the power to the engine fans. But they come on as soon as I start it up and stay on. I already know that if you have it in defrost mode that they will do that, but it occurs when I don't have it on defrost. I replaced the coolant temp sensor because the gauge was not working and now it is working, but I am still stuck. I did have a couple of trouble codes for the coolant temp not reaching proper temp. I am leaning towards replacing the thermostat and seeing what happens. But is there anything else that could be telling the fans to stay on?

Thanks for any help,
kevin

2000 GT Coupe
01-18-2010, 12:32 PM
I have a 2001 GT and since it has been very cold here, the heat will not work. I found that the hoses going in and out of the heater core are the same temp, so I eliminated that. The car will warm up quicker if I pull the power to the engine fans. But they come on as soon as I start it up and stay on. I already know that if you have it in defrost mode that they will do that, but it occurs when I don't have it on defrost. I replaced the coolant temp sensor because the gauge was not working and now it is working, but I am still stuck. I did have a couple of trouble codes for the coolant temp not reaching proper temp. I am leaning towards replacing the thermostat and seeing what happens. But is there anything else that could be telling the fans to stay on?

Thanks for any help,
kevin

possibly low coolant level?

GrandAmMe
01-18-2010, 01:55 PM
My car did the EXACT same thing. No heat and both fans coming on full blast even when cold. $300 later and i had the Thermostat replaced. Problem fixed, And yeah i know horrible price for what needed to be replaced but at least its fixed.

dcb2001gt
01-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Change your Thermostat in the goosneck of the coolant line when the coolant temp code is thrown it automatically turns the fans on. That is why your heat is not working the thermostat is stuck open and will not close down to maintain a 200 deg engine temp.

CA$A
12-21-2010, 09:27 AM
by replacing your thermostat the temp gauge started working again and your fans turned off?

Because my temp gauge works on and off mostly off and i replaced the ECT and nothing changed still does the same thing I was thinking that it could be my thermostat but the car heats up and runs fine except for the rad fans constantly running